Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

'84 how do i get the starter out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Default '84 how do i get the starter out?

1984 monte carlo cl with 305 i got the car yesterday and i have to change the starter but someone put the aftermarket pipes on it so they run right under the starter as do the transmission lines and i cant get it out through the top either i hope i dont have to unbolt the pipes from stock headers i slightly tried and bolts are rusted what do i do how should it come out anyway? thanks

Old 07-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Default RE: '84 how do i get the starter out?

If they are in the way they have to be removed....

Try coating the nuts and bolts with WD40 or other penetrating fluid to help loosen up the bolts...

Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Default Gregg T.

These jobs are not fun. Even aftermarket pipes are bent very close to O.E. specs and no matter if it's a 6 or 8 cylinder, you have to drop the crossover and the trans lines to get acces. Your best friend is an oxy/accetelene torch (if available) Propane or MAPP gas won't get the exhaust studs hot enough unless the stars are in line and there is a good chance they (the exhaust studs) will snap off if you're not very careful. The size problem is solved using one of the high torque, small case units that are available from your local rebuilder or from an outfit like Summit or the like. More than enough yahoo to spin over the engine and it will be accesible without having to disassemble most of the bottom end. Make sure all retainers (starter bolts, Trans line tube nuts ) are started before any final tightening is done. Before you start the job, whack your hands on the frame rail and the block so they are sore before you start the job. It saves you some time. You can do it. Just be 50% smarter than the engineer who drew this up on paper.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know if it will apply to your situation, but when I had to change the starter on my V8 Vega I unbolted the header from the cylinder head, pulled both engine mount bolts then jacked the engine up. That would give me the clearance I needed to slide the starter out. I've also used this method on a couple other tight fitting SBC conversions (Chevette & Monza) and it worked for them also.