Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th gen(3.5) overheating fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Default 7th gen(3.5) overheating fix

Hey everyone!

So a while back i had an overheating problem with my 06 3.5 monte. I would be driving and the car would quickly overheat and the needle would jump all the way up! So i checked my coolant and the levels were fine, however it was a bit dirty looking.

After doing some research i stumbled across the theory of an air pocket in the coolant. So my dad and i decided to kind of flush it our selves. We drained the old coolant out which was incredibly dirty... So we took a hose and started flushing out the system (probably not the professional way to flush lol) for a few minutes.

Then we started filling it back up with fresh new coolant, this is supposed to be done with some sort of special funnel that "burps" the liquid ensuring no air pockets or bubbles enter the system, it screws on to the radiator cap. Unfortunately that funnel did not fit my cap... Regardless, we filled it up anyway and ran the car with the radiator cap off allowing the airpressure to burp its self out very VERY slowly.

After the car stopped burping and it appeared to have no more air bubbles/ pockets we closed it up and everything is working perfectly to this day months later.

By the way apparantly an overheating engine can cause spark plugs to go bad which after i changed mine a few weeks ago they where, and bad spark plugs can apparantly also cause a catalytic converter to go bad.

Anyway i hope this may help somebody out there