Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th gen Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 6th gen Heater Core

My 2004 monte's heater core started leaking this morning... Has anyone replaced a heater core in a 6th generation monte? I can't find a thread for this. PLEASE HELP. Thanks!!!

Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 PM

1.Remove the lower left and right dash panels.

2. Remove the two screws holding the rear floor duct adapter and remove the duct.

3. The heater core is located under the intrument panel behind a large plastic cover. Remove the screws around the perimeter of cover and carefully work the cover off.

4. Remove the screws retaining the two coolant pipe clamps.

5. Remove the metal clips where the heater core pipes enter the core, then twist and pull the two pipes out of the core.

6. Remove the screw and the clamp at the bottom center of the heater core and pull the core down and out.

Caution: Have plenty of old towels on the floor to protect the carpet.

Install is the reverse, refill and bleed the coolant

There you go. Strait form the Haynes manual.

I tried replacing my heater core but on the 06 its a real pain. Not as easy as the 6th gen. I just used some heater core stop leak and its been good so far (1 month) and no leak or smell.

Last edited by kingreyna; 01-23-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member

I would've figured that it was on the passenger side, since all the coolant is leaking onto the passenger side floor. Would you say this is approximately an 8 hour project?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:10 PM

I would say about 4 -6 hours. Its not that hard if you have the right tools like small screwdrivers. Its kind of cramped down there.

Good luck.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks! Im gonna need all the luck I can get! I've been dreading this since I bought my car lol.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The 04 is gonna have plastic rivets that hold the cover together so you have to drill them out. It is a real pain but it's do-able. I would pull the seats and center counsel just to make it easier on yourself. My carpet was soaked and so was the pad so I had to pull it back too.

Also no part's stores had the core in stock I had to have it ordered. When I got it the tubes were facing the wrong way they rotate around to fit the monte.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member

I ordered a Delphi from Advance Auto, should be here tomorrow. I've heard about the rivets, are they what mount it to the firewall? And is the heater core on the drivers side? thanks.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member

How does the cover fasten back on after you drill out the plastic rivets out? Have you done this before? Let me know asap cuz I have the dash apart right now and now I'm not sure what to do

Old 01-24-2012, 08:29 PM

I didn't know the 04 had those rivets. I didn't mention them in the manual. That's what made me give up on it that and having to take my seats out. You should still have screws that would hold the cover in place left over. Those rivets should only be at a few places.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member

I replaced my heater core on monday and tuesday. It took a good solid 9 hours. It was nothing like the haynes manual said. I kinda had to learn it on my own. But I could change it again now in about 6 hours, knowing what I know now. I took several pictures with my phone. I'm gonna try to post a HOW-TO on here for the 6th gen cars, cuz the haynes manual is a joke. I think the haynes manual was for a 5th gen monte. If anyone has questions on this topic, feel free to ask, as I have learned a lot from this project

Quick Reply: 6th gen Heater Core