Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3rd time replacing maf whyyyyyyyyy

Old 06-17-2014, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question 3rd time replacing maf whyyyyyyyyy

Hey guys so since u got this car 3 years ago i went thru 2 MAF sensors and wanted to see if anyone can help me figure out why? It's an 02 3.8. I recently did a zzp super charge kit on it almost a year ago. I have a k&n air box and The larger throttle body from zzp aswell. I blew 2 sensors before I did the zzp kit install with the TB. So i guess its safe to rule out the sc kit was responsible for this.
I always used a delco sensor and they never last longer than 13 months. Could it be from k&n? I usually get a warranty replacement on the filter instead of cleaning and re oiling it. I cleaned it out multiple times with maf cleaner. I no I'm having issues with fuel pressure ben trying to figure out why it cranks for ever before it starts changed out Iac tps FPR and fuel filter.y fuel sender is messed up so I'm gonna do the pump in a day or two. Bit i was told the starting issue will not go away from the pump? I dnt understand anymore any tips? Or check i can do? She's been sitting for a months now and i miss it lol.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 AM

what is it doing to make you replace the sensor? you get the CEL and then you get a new one? so you have replaced and cleaned these. this tells me you are having the same issue i had recently. bad wire/connector to the maf.

all i did was unplug the old connector, pulled the wires away from the harness and got about 1.5' of wire exposed, cut it off, soldered in new (junk yard) connector. no more CEL. going on 2 weeks with out my issue. might be worth the try. i was having the CEL, rough start, rough idle, "surging" while driving, sometimes it would bog down while trying to accelerate to merge on the freeway. not anymore.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres the problem...

Its your K&N air filter...
It has oil in it that contaminates the MAF...

You need to use a different Manufacturers air filter..

Use one from CAI or from Wizard Aire.. etc...
Just be sure to purchase the replacement MAF from a reputable Auto Parts, Dealer.
Never buy one from Ebay... Just be sure its an AC Delco!

Then it will no longer be an issue...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 06-18-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

It's possible the sensor is getting coated from a filter that has too much oil applied to it, but cleaning it with MAF cleaner should resolve the problem.

I'd check the connector and wiring harness for a loose/dirty connection.

This article may also help:

Part 1 -MAF Sensor Test (P0101, P0102, P0103): GM 3.8L (1996-2005).

Old 06-18-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Heres the problem...

Its your K&N air filter...
It has oil in it that contaminates the MAF...

You need to use a different Manufacturers air filter..

Use one from CAI or from Wizard Aire.. etc...
Just be sure to purchase the replacement MAF from a reputable Auto Parts, Dealer.
Never buy one from Ebay... Just be sure its an AC Delco!

Then it will no longer be an issue...

cleaning it, as the OP has stated he has, would fix the issue you speak off. the oil in the filter is unlikely the issue in this case since he has cleaned and replaced the maf.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:59 AM

I have a k&n in my car also and just keep getting p0171 and just got p0102 code today...hmm,think I should put reg airfilter back in?

Old 01-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Since you have cleaned the MAF with no results, I would check the connector and wiring. The wires are known to break strands (under the insulation) where it enters the connector, The broken strands would reduce the voltage to the MAF. This would explain the P0101 and P0102 codes which both indicate insufficient voltage at the MAF.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:36 AM
10 Year Member

Thanks for all the replies I did everything checked out everything I am looking to replace this KNM filter I realize it could be the issue I had it replaced a few months before if you want bad I ended up getting a used one from a junkyard which is working fine thank God for now. The funny thing is I did not resolve the issue when I replaced it and they mechanic noticed my cat was clogged once I fix that issue I was able to put back my old mass airflow sensor and it was working fine so now I have a back up which is good

Old 01-05-2015, 04:09 PM

Ok put in a reg air filter and cleaned MAF again,lets see if the code comes back again...

Old 01-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

what David said, over oiling your K&N will cause sensor issues... happened to me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd time replacing maf whyyyyyyyyy