Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3.8 Screeching engine after intake manifold /coolent repair

Old 08-08-2018, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well done finally . Hardest part was the engine mount . Best way was rock it back n forth when it was not in the driveway , it needed to be on a level road . I went to move it and I thought the engine fell to the floor . Other little things were a huge pain in the *** like the air cleaner assembly , what a place for that giant electric box . The foam around the box ripped off so there is no tight closer right now , I'm not sure if that will be an issue ?

Another pain was the heat shields , The clips Philips head on screw strips off so there is no way to tighten them again . I bought a kit from amazon and they were junk , My wife actually was able to use some parts get them on tight to the new fan .

There is no correct video to watch for the monte carlo/impala with a 3800 , There are some differences most being which hoses to take off and the engine mounts are much harder then on the 3.1 or 3.4

Picking out the right fan is important too . The TYC is the right one and built fine , I should have not read so many reviews that there noisy , there not .

The fans in and noise is finally gone .

On to the next thing and changing the blower motor and resister to get my fans speeds on 1 and 2 back and get rid of the noise the motor is making . I was just going to do the resister but got both parts since the noise is also getting annoying while the heat or a/c is on . Is there a good video for that ? I will see what I can find on YouTube .

Thank you all who helped me out , I really appreciate it .

Last edited by sa5150; 08-08-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:27 PM

I'm glad you got it done. It may have taken you longer , but in the long run you saved a few bucks .

Old 08-08-2018, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
I'm glad you got it done. It may have taken you longer , but in the long run you saved a few bucks .
Thank you very much Jeff .

Old 07-17-2020, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member

Well it's been 2 years since all the work replacing intake manifold , gaskets etc.. It's still been leaking even more so then before . Was in a shop to get rear brakes pads and rotors $330 fair ?

Guy said that the oil pan is leaking , This is going to be the last money put into this car , 20 years is enough . Any suggestions on oil pans and gaskets for the pan ? I have not been giving a price but anytime I bring my own parts they always seem to shaft me somehow . This new place seems to be a little more honest I think . I usually by from Amazon , its the best for quick return if its the wrong part . I'm not finding anything that looks good , Rock Auto has about 4 pans , but there shipping and return process is a pain.

I could see what price they give me when there done with the brakes , One thing at a time for the moment . It would be nice not to have to lay cardboard and shop towels in the garage to catch the oil , You would think that $2.5k would of taken care of all that 2 years ago .

Hope everyone is doing well

Old 07-17-2020, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by sa5150
I have not been giving a price but anytime I bring my own parts they always seem to shaft me somehow . This new place seems to be a little more honest I think.
That's completely normal TBH. For two reasons:
-Their business model makes profit off of labor and part markup. If you bring your own parts, they lose that profit, so theyll try to upcharge you on the labor side to make it even out.
-It can be a huge pain to deal with customer supplied stuff. I've never worked in car repair, but I have done car audio in the past, and it can be super frustrating when the customer brings their own stuff and either its defective out of the box, the wrong PN, a bad / ill fitting brand of the right part, etc. Can end up making the installer waste a notable amount more time vs using their stuff.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:36 AM

sa5150, how much oil are you adding between changes? If very little, you can live with a little seepage in which case, don't mess with the oil pan gaskets. Either way, just replace gaskets. Not sure why you would replace the pan unless you wanted a shiny chrome one.