Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2006 Monte Carlo TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Default 2006 Monte Carlo TPMS

I currently have an issue with my TPMS system. The indicator light near the left turn signal is on. I've looked at the tires, none look low, I've check pressures through the in dash system (which shows all 4 tires between 34 and 37 PSI), and manually, and the numbers match. I had the shop where I have my tires serviced check them, and there was infact a piece of metal in one, but they patched and refilled it. I've checked the spare (which does have a TPMS on it I believe) and that is up to pressure. There is no audiable hissing of leaking air.

I've tried the re-learn feature, but that does nothing, but from what I've read, I think I have to get a special device to make it re-learn the tires. May have to go to the service shop and have them do this.

Does anyone know the method for reseting the TPMS indicator other than disconnecting the battery? I've searched all over for a method, but all I find are for the 00-05 model, which doesn't work for the 06-07.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 AM

When you say you did the relearn feature....you mean that you:

1. went through the HUD display and found "enter tire learn mode",
2. then pressed the check mark button on your dash (car should honk twice to confirm enter),
3. then started at the left front tire, letting air out (for up to 30 seconds!), until car honks once to confirm tpms sensor was learned
4. moved around the car in a clockwise fashion (Right front, Right rear, Left Rear), repeating step 3 on each tire.
5. got back in the car and pressed the check button again (not sure if necessary, but i did it anyway) to confirm all tires have been learned.
6. refilled tires to correct psi's (30/32) and scrolled through hud to confirm all tires read correct pressures?

If you did all of that, and the light is still on, chances are either:

one sensor is faulty or the battery is dead, but you would see this in the HUD as one of the tire positions would have two dashes next to it.

OR

The receiver for the sensors is bad, but then all tire positions would have two dashes next to them in the HUD

other than that, i can think of no possible issues that would cause the light to still be on...hope some of this rambling brings you an "AH-HA moment"

Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 AM

also, post some pictures of your monte if you plan on sticking around on the forum, everyone loves pictures!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM

Will do on the pictures after I move next week. Have some good ones from running around the Homestead Speedway during a charity event.

On the other part...

I went into the dealership again and had them do a relearn. The light would go out as soon as they learned the first tire, but would reappear after learning the second tire. It would stay on after cycling the power on the vehicle. The service guy suggested it might be the antenna, but I question that... then wouldn't all the tires read -- if it was bad, and at $300 I can live with the light, as annoying as it is...

Of course that changed this morning... when the right front tire no longer reads an pressure and displays as -- but clearly looking at the tire I know it is not flat. Hoping maybe a new sensor will fix both problems. but that can wait till I get moved.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:30 PM

Yeah, every once in a while my right front sensor shorts out after ive been driving a while and will read --, but never on startup, and it always comes back on after ive turned the car off and then on again. After rotating my tires and relearning the sensors, the faulty one hasnt acted up. I am with you, it is definitely not the antenna, because youre right, all positions would read --. If your car came into the shop i worked at, i would suggest a new sensor and go from there. The problem with these sensors is the battery life, although they do last a while, they cant last forever!

Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 PM

I'll likely get the sensor taken care of once I move, I've got bigger things on my mind than that damn sensor... I've got a tire pressure gauge in the trunk to monitor the tires on my own if need be.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:13 PM

Thats what you have to do to reset it? Lord..mine is on and its annoying as hell...I guess ill have to do that and try it.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:51 AM

yeah thats the manual relearn setting. If you had a tpms relearn scanner (like all car shops do), all youd have to do is:

1. turn the key to the "On" position and press the lock+unlock button at the same time until the car honks twice
2. starting at the left front tire and going clockwise around the car, touch the scanner to the sidewall of the tire where the sensor is located, press the learn button on the scanner and wait until the car honks once at each tire (2-5 seconds instead of 30).
3. turn the engine on and confirm all tires read correct psi's

As you can imagine, I like the scanner alot better than the manual mode

Old 06-13-2013, 07:21 PM

There is a Service Bulletin out for the antennas, but if it hasn't acted up before now then I bet it was taken care of long ago.

The -- is shown when the car is not receiving a signal from that sensor.

One thing to consider is that factory sensors have an estimated lifetime of 3-5 years before they die. All 8 of mine are currently dead (two sets of wheels).

Another thing is that too high of pressure will also turn on the light. The sticker on the door should say 30 psi all around. If you're running them at 37 psi then that could possibly be the cause.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I bought new wheels and tires @ tirerack about 2 years ago with new TPMS sensors installed, I never did get the manual relearn to work. It is very irritating to see the -- on the DIC all the time so I ended up buying one of these @ tirerack, did the trick for me......... It's kinda a pita to work but I got it figured out.

CUB TPMS Trigger Tool

Quick Reply: 2006 Monte Carlo TPMS