Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2006 Monet Carlo Heater Blows Cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Default 2006 Monet Carlo Heater Blows Cold

Had the cold zap my battery two days ago. I charged the battery and the car starts, however the heater only blows cold air now. Right after I charged the battery and turned the car on I could hear water coursing through the dash on the driver side, but no water has leaked anywhere. Shut car off and tried it this morning, car starts but heater blows cold air. I checked the water level in the plastic water overflow catcher and it was low so I filled it with water.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:16 AM

had the same problem. i was slowly leaking coolant out of the water pump gasket. eventually it started dumping out of there. my guess is youre losing it from the same spot and you got some air in the system. run it with the coolant fill cap on the engine off to get the air out and refill. good luck

Old 12-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2013htsf
Had the cold zap my battery two days ago. I charged the battery and the car starts, however the heater only blows cold air now. Right after I charged the battery and turned the car on I could hear water coursing through the dash on the driver side, but no water has leaked anywhere. Shut car off and tried it this morning, car starts but heater blows cold air. I checked the water level in the plastic water overflow catcher and it was low so I filled it with water.
Is the car heating up properly? Reaching the operating temp?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Is the car heating up properly? Reaching the operating temp?
Yes. The temp guage seems to be running right where it always does.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by solaris_vii
had the same problem. i was slowly leaking coolant out of the water pump gasket. eventually it started dumping out of there. my guess is youre losing it from the same spot and you got some air in the system. run it with the coolant fill cap on the engine off to get the air out and refill. good luck
I think this may actually be my problem. I have been noticing fluid on the driveway since mid summer. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. The oil and transmission levels are fine. Where is the water pump located?

Old 12-10-2013, 11:50 AM
1 Year Member

I think this may actually be my problem. I have been noticing fluid on the driveway since mid summer. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. The oil and transmission levels are fine. Where is the water pump located?
Check your coolant elbows first. They are directly beneath the alternator. Water pump is below that.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Check your coolant elbows first. They are directly beneath the alternator. Water pump is below that.
Thanks. I have some more info. I drove the car and the heater works fine when the car is driven, as soon as you idle at a light it blows cold air. Take off again and it blows hot. I parked it in the driveway and the same thing happens, when I get the rpm up the heater works, if the car idles it just blows cold air. Also discovered that the air is not coming out of the top vent when it is in defrost mode. You can hear the air blowing there, but nothing comes out. Pretty sure this is related to the ac damper actuater or whatever it's called as I've had to replace these about four times now. Got to say that I've always been a chevy man but this car is a piece of crap. I won't be buying another chevy anytime soon.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:04 PM

Also, can someone tell me how to bleed the air from the radiator system? Thanks.

EDIT: I found the air removal procedure, this is it if anyone is interested...

#PIC4301C: Poor Heat At Idle - (Feb 6, 2009)

Subject: Poor Heat at Idle
Models: 2006 - 2009 Chevrolet Impala
2006 - 2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC4301B.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Poor heat at idle, however, if the engine RPMs are raised the concern no longer occurs.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Note: Be sure to follow all SI safety procedures and caution notices.
With the engine cooled off, remove the coolant pressure cap.
Remove upper heater core hose from the metal pipe on the engine.
Add coolant to the metal pipe, until full.
Raise the rubber portion of the heater core hose as high as it will go with it still attached at the heater core. Using a funnel, add coolant until the hose is full.
Reconnect the heater core hose.
Start engine, have assistant raise the RPMs to about 1500 to 1700 RPMs, top coolant off at engine, then before lowering engine RPMs, install the coolant pressure cap.
Fill coolant reservoir as necessary, then check the heat at idle.

Last edited by 2013htsf; 12-10-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:09 PM
1 Year Member

Also, can someone tell me how to bleed the air from the radiator system? Thanks.
Run the car for 30 mins with the radiator cap loose or off. Sounds like the thermostat. Just replaced mine and it sounds like a similiar issue. My bet is you have leaking coolant elbows and a bad thermostat. Easy fixs and known problems with these cars.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:34 PM

Do you get any ticking?

Quick Reply: 2006 Monet Carlo Heater Blows Cold