Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: 2005 SS Hood won't shut.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2005 SS Hood won't shut.

I'm having major issues with my hood on my Monte Carlo. I have the Tony Stewart SS. I noticed about 3 months ago the hood wouldn't shut all the way. I let it go, I should have fixed it but didn't think it would be a big problem. Two weeks ago I was driving on the interstate and the hood flopped open and smacked my windshield. Luckily it didn't break it. The hood looks like someone beat it with a sledgehammer though. I can't get it to latch all the way down. It will go halfway closed and it somewhat latches but not all the way. Also the swaybar broke when the hood popped open. It's an absolute mess and I know I'm going to have to replace the hood. Is there anyway to temporarily fix it until I have the money to replace the whole thing? I have been driving slow and avoiding the interstate. It's extremely frustrating though. Has anyone here ever dealt with this before? Any help would be very appreciated.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

Were you able to determine what caused the incident?
Was the latch broken?
Were the hinge bolts coming loose?
What about the hood piston openers did they com loose?
The temp fix most likely would be to get a long wire, or chain and attach it to the hood latch on the hood and it should be long enough to secure it below the Radiator someplace.
Do not attach it to any of the steering control arms.
So not duct tape it that won't work!!
Another possible fix would be to obtain hood pins and drill into the hood and mount the flange to the hood and the pin to the Frame cross member that has the hood latch on it. Put one on each side and they will bolt on. You will need a 1/2" drill. There is probably a Youtube video on how to install hood pins on you car.
Google that and select Videos.
Hope this helps some.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:43 AM

No bungee cords either.... I did that a long time ago with my first car.. Everytime id pass a semi, it would whip up about 2 feet.. Bet I looked quite foolish..