Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: 2005 Monte Carlo won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2005 Monte Carlo won't start

I haven't posted in awhile, I have a problem that has me stumped. I have a 2005 Monte Carlo Tony Stewart SS. It's been starting fine, no issues, no indications of any problems. It has other problems, not related to this though. Yesterday after I left the library it just wouldn't start. The lights on the dash work, the radio, windows work. You can hear the systems coming on, it just won't turn over. I had to get it towed home. The battery is only about 6 months old, it was under warranty and they gave me a new one. I replaced the crank/ starter relay in the fuse box and that didn't work. The only thing I can think of is the starter, or the security system shut the car down. The car has plenty of oil, so it didn't lock up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know where to begin on this.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:50 PM

Sounds like it could be the starter., there is a few different ways of testing depending on your skill level. If you have a test light or multi meter you could probe the purple wire going to the starter solenoid.It should show power when the key is twisted to start . You could try jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver by touching the battery cable wire and the purple wire and it should crank over. You could remove and either bench test as I explained between the power and solenoid post or bring it to the store and they will do it for you. Good luck

Old 06-24-2018, 08:05 PM

Does it crank and not start, or not even crank?

Old 06-24-2018, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by HurricaneSSman
Does it crank and not start, or not even crank?
It won't crank or start, it does nothing but all the lights, windows, radio work.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:01 PM

If you check for power on the purple wire it will tell you if it's a security issue or the starter. If it has power when the key is in the start position your starter is bad, if it doesn't the problem is between the relay , the bcm and the ignition switch. This wire can be easily found right above the battery at the harness conector. It's the 4th wire over from the left in the top row.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member

I am beginning to think this is a security issue. I see the battery light and security light are flashing. I know that's a common red flag for these cars not starting. I have tried one method to disable it, the locking the door and turning the lights on and off three times method. I'm trying the longer wait 10 minutes and do it three times with the key in the ignition.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:49 PM

Lets hope it works , the 30 minute procedure should reset the security.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
Lets hope it works , the 30 minute procedure should reset the security.
I reset the security and the symbol went off the dash. The car is still not starting though. The only other option I have is the starter that I can think of. I'm going to replace it the next couple of days and hope for the best. I didn't have any warning of the starter going out which is what mystifies me. The car does have 225,000 miles on it though. I don't think it's ever been replaced.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:24 PM

Starters, in my experience, don't give you any warning. They just die.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member

We're replacing the starter Thursday. If that doesn't fix it, I'm out of ideas.

Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: 2005 Monte Carlo won't start