Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2003 SS hard start when warm

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2003 SS hard start when warm

My car starts fine first turn of the key in the morning even when it's freezing out, but once it warms it up and I park it, it never restarts on the first turn of the key. It usually takes 3 tries before it will start. The fuel filter and fuel pump in the tank was replaced this summer so that should not be an issue. I read a few things that might be causing it, a fuel regulator, MAF sensor or cam position sensor but before I start throwing parts at it is there a way to test any of these items? It is a 2003 3.8. I also have a Valet car starter that never seems to work either, takes 3-4 tries before it starts and stays running even when warm out. I would love to figure this out before the real cold weather and snow start.
Dave C

Old 11-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Dave.
A good scan tool like a Tech 2 can measure voltage of the MAF and cam sensor, and the flow on the MAF should be 4-7 g/sec. You can also remove the MAF and inspect the fine wire for deposits. It can be cleaned by spraying it with MAF cleaner. If you replace it stay with ACDelco, others cause problems. Depending on how long you have to crank each try, you may have a leaking fuel injector that's draining off the pressure while the key is off.

Here's a link to a site describing some ways of testing the MAF: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/3....nostic-tests-1

Last edited by plumbob; 11-28-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well I cleaned the MAF sensor with the spray designed for that but did not help. Then I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and that solved the problem, starts right up on the first turn of the key when hot or cold, so that was the problem!
Mission accomplished.
Dave C

Old 12-28-2015, 02:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congratulations!