Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2003 3.8l no crank, not security

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Default 2003 3.8l no crank, not security

2003 Monte Carlo SS High Sport 3800 series 2 3.8l
The upper intake manifold plenum exploded, completely, upon ignition and caught fire on the alternator side. Put it out with a fire extinguisher. Rear plug wires and one injector burned, alternator partially burned. Luckily, the wiring harness is intact. I replaced the upper intake gasket, plenum, throttle body, plug wires, 1fuel injector, alternator, pcv valve, vacuum lines, starter, and battery. Now, when I turn the key to acc and on, I have gauges and lights, info blinks "battery", "service engine soon", and "security". Turn to start and everything goes off. Turn key back to on and there is an approximately 2 second delay, a strange growling kind of sound from inside the dash, before the gauges and lights come back on. Info light blinks "battery", "service engine soon", no more "security". Scan tool throws P0440, P0449, and P0443, which are evap codes. However, I don't think that issue would cause a no crank. Please help, it's driving me crazy!

Old 03-31-2018, 09:19 PM
Default Similar problem on my 04 3.8 SC Dale Jr

So a few days ago the issue began with a buzzing sound coming from the dash when i used the turn signal and at the same time the brake, battery and airbag lights came on. The Trac off, check engine , and and service traction control were already on fron the harness being cut and at the time I hadn't fixed it yet but that has been fixed now. It did the same thing as above a few times over the next couple days and then began with the no crank no start. Everything works fine when you turn the key and doesn't dim it just won't crank or anything. So I waited a bit and Wala it starts right up fine for the next day or so. Then last night same issue again won't crank and now I have no turn signals at all but the emergency flashers are fine when I push the button. So after messing with it I've discovered that if I flick the signal switch back and forth several times after a couple minutes it will start right up and be fine until I turn it off. And everything works fine while it's running except for I have no turn signals now.The buzzing in the dash has stopped too, whether it starts up or not. Have any of you heard of this and could it possibly be that because the signal switch is goin or has gone bad that it's the culprit of the no crank no start as well? I never had a problem with starting until the issue with the buzzing turn signals began.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:06 AM

That buzzing sound from the dash when you hit your turn signal and brakes sounds like the emergency flasher which also controls the turn signals. Don't think that has much to do with a no start maybe someone else has some idea's for you.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Maybe there is a ground that is not working properly? Sometimes the new items out of the box are bad also. I have had Starters new bad as well as the battery. I think the battery should have at least 12.4 volts to work and start the thing up.

Here is a link that might have a solution for the issue you have.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.UNOg_Q1sYaQ