Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2001 starting/bcm problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Problem resolved.

Fixed this quite awhile ago but wanted to give an update for anyone having similar problems.

I wound up replacing the ignition switch but kept the original key cylinder and now the car starts perfectly!

I ruled out the BCM computer by getting a salvage yard replacement from another 2001 3.4 engine for $20. From what I was able to find out this should have at least allowed the car to start, but various options may not have worked since it wasn't programmed to my car. Still a cheap diagnostic test compared to shops though.

I went against common advice and bought a Dorman brand ignition switch instead of factory original hoping to save almost 2/3 the price. So far so good on that.

I went with the Dorman since their drivers side power window switch also fixed my issue with the window going down but not up. I had replaced it once before with a Standard Motor Products switch but that failed after a week. Thinking I had short somewhere in the system I tore the door apart but everything checked out fine. I must have got unlucky with the other part. It was under warranty but I took it apart to test.

Hope this is useful to someone and thanks for the replies that were received.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Good to hear you were able to track down and resolve the problem!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Had the same problem itstarted when it cooled down tried the turning te lights on an off good for awhile.Then got worst when the little women and I were out and had to have a flatbed bring us home not happy. So as ithappens it was the idnition switch all is good check that first

Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM

When you find out please let me know. I had someone do my intake manifold and now, my car wont start. The lights, and radio come on but the car wont start.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by carmbyrd
When you find out please let me know. I had someone do my intake manifold and now, my car wont start. The lights, and radio come on but the car wont start.
Final solution was detailed 3 posts back. I doubt it would apply in your case though unless it's your bad luck day. So does the car turn over? If not is the security light flashing?

I would strongly suspect something did not hooked up after the intake manifold (gaskets I assume) were worked on.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Default Bcm

I found if you put the bcm in the freezer for 10 -15 mins everything comes back online and it will start and run found this out through my experience of being a mechanic

Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Default security message

Hi all, hopefully you will be back on this thread? I've read all the posts & see several possible fixes - replace BCM, replace ignition, bypass ignition.....

Here's what my 02's doin. Security light came on & stayed on. Car ran fine. Only problem was that the interior lights would stay on & flicker every 3 seconds or so, along with a clicking sound. Security light never flashed & the car always started.

Now while I was drivin today, I heard this buzzin sound, kinda like a short. The interior lights went out, & the message center started cyclin thru everythin - battery, traction, service engine, low fuel, etc. Also the fuel & temp gauges were givin false readings. It stayed runnin & I was able to park it, but after I shut it off, it seemed like it was dead. I went into my appt & thought I'd have to at least get a jump home.

When I get back, the car started right up, but is doin the same thing (all the messages & no interior lights). So I go right home & take a look at it. I pull the 10a fuse for the BCM, it's ok. I plug it back in & the interior lights come back on. The car starts right up & the messages are cycling (security, battery, traction, etc), gauges are still wrong, but now the headlights come on & are flickerin every 3 seconds with the interior lights! So now I can't drive the car like that.

Now that some time has passed, hopefully y'all know what the real cure is? Would definitely appreciate it.

Last edited by TXMonte; 01-19-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:21 PM

In addition to the symptoms I listed in my original post I also had several instances of the buzzing sound and the instruments and turn signals wigging out but the car continued to run. Ever since I replaced the ignition switch the car has been 100% reliable with absolutely none of the previous issues. I would definitely start with that, it's under $40 dollars for the part online and is not that difficult to replace.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:03 AM

Hey I'm a mechanic in Canada I found with my son car when I put the BCM in the freezer everything worked until the BCM warmed up and gave me enough time to get it to my shop

hope this helps you

Old 01-21-2014, 06:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by MonteMan92
So after taking mine to the dealer and having them check it out they said it was the ignition switch. I replaced it and haven't had an issue since thank goodness.
Originally Posted by jim1405
Problem resolved.

Fixed this quite awhile ago but wanted to give an update for anyone having similar problems.

I wound up replacing the ignition switch
but kept the original key cylinder and now the car starts perfectly!

I ruled out the BCM computer by getting a salvage yard replacement from another 2001 3.4 engine for $20. From what I was able to find out this should have at least allowed the car to start, but various options may not have worked since it wasn't programmed to my car. Still a cheap diagnostic test compared to shops though.

I went against common advice and bought a Dorman brand ignition switch instead of factory original hoping to save almost 2/3 the price. So far so good on that.

I went with the Dorman since their drivers side power window switch also fixed my issue with the window going down but not up. I had replaced it once before with a Standard Motor Products switch but that failed after a week. Thinking I had short somewhere in the system I tore the door apart but everything checked out fine. I must have got unlucky with the other part. It was under warranty but I took it apart to test.

Hope this is useful to someone and thanks for the replies that were received.
Originally Posted by boggie
Had the same problem itstarted when it cooled down tried the turning te lights on an off good for awhile.Then got worst when the little women and I were out and had to have a flatbed bring us home not happy. So as ithappens it was the idnition switch all is good check that first
Originally Posted by jim1405
In addition to the symptoms I listed in my original post I also had several instances of the buzzing sound and the instruments and turn signals wigging out but the car continued to run. Ever since I replaced the ignition switch the car has been 100% reliable with absolutely none of the previous issues. I would definitely start with that, it's under $40 dollars for the part online and is not that difficult to replace.

Originally Posted by TXMonte
Hi all, hopefully you will be back on this thread? I've read all the posts & see several possible fixes - replace BCM, replace ignition, bypass ignition.....

Here's what my 02's doin. Security light came on & stayed on. Car ran fine. Only problem was that the interior lights would stay on & flicker every 3 seconds or so, along with a clicking sound. Security light never flashed & the car always started.

Now while I was drivin today, I heard this buzzin sound, kinda like a short. The interior lights went out, & the message center started cyclin thru everythin - battery, traction, service engine, low fuel, etc. Also the fuel & temp gauges were givin false readings. It stayed runnin & I was able to park it, but after I shut it off, it seemed like it was dead. I went into my appt & thought I'd have to at least get a jump home.

When I get back, the car started right up, but is doin the same thing (all the messages & no interior lights). So I go right home & take a look at it. I pull the 10a fuse for the BCM, it's ok. I plug it back in & the interior lights come back on. The car starts right up & the messages are cycling (security, battery, traction, etc), gauges are still wrong, but now the headlights come on & are flickerin every 3 seconds with the interior lights! So now I can't drive the car like that.

Now that some time has passed, hopefully y'all know what the real cure is? Would definitely appreciate it.

^^^ See bold replies above ^^^

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): 2001 starting/bcm problems?