Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 Monte Carlo Traction Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Default 2001 Monte Carlo Traction Control Problem

Okay, so I'm having this problem with my traction control, and it is NOT similar to the traction control/abs issue I've had with speed sensors and wheel hub assembly. My traction control will randomly kick in when I make quick turns such as backing out of a parking spot, turning onto a road, etc...any idea what could be wrong?!

Old 06-06-2009, 07:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I still say it's the wheel hub assembly. But sounds like a front one now. If you are turning right and it happens, it's your left one. That assembly does everything from sensors to wheel bearings.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:26 AM

It looks like your ABS/Traction control cables going to the speed sensor on one side is going open intermittently. Had the same problem on mine on the right side cable was bad. Replaced it haven't had a problem since the ABS/Traction lights were coming on hard turn to the right side. I fouund the problem with an ABS brake tester that checks the abs brake system and speed sensor cables. I bought an ACTRON CP9449 ABS Brakescan is how I found the problem it will store the codes for it that can be read out with it. Replace both cables

Old 06-06-2009, 11:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm having a similar issue when I turn left after backing up. I'm sure it's the cables.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 AM

Same here. I had my right wheel hub assembly replaced in march (because the bearings was horrible and hasn't been changed in who knows when). The problem I am going through is the right turn from anywhere (out of a park, from a corner,etc) and the traction kicks on constantly. I was thinking maybe I got a defective new part from the store or maybe I needed to buy both hubs so I wouldn't go through the near death experience later on in life. But yes, I am having the same problem. I didn't think about getting a sensor scanner. Nice idea!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 AM

This has been a problem on the monte carlo and the cables were redesigned for both sides and I think I got them at GM parts direct each was in the $30 dollar range.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:49 AM

I found the part numbers for the speed sensor cables related to the tracktion control problem I used to get both the abs/traction light would come on and the traction control would work right either correctly makeing a right hand turn. The part numbers for the cables are 10340313 and 10340314 on a 2002 Monte Carlo they maybe same for others go to GMPARTSDIRECT.COM

Old 06-08-2009, 01:34 PM

I figured that's what it was today...it was raining, so it was wet and then the whole service tractin system, abs, traction off all lit up... I'm really getting sick of it... this will be the 7th time replacing one of these stupid things...ugh! And to top it off, the catalytic converter, or what I believe to be, is going as well...

Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM

I have had to many problems with 2002 monte transmission went at 55k, rotors 4 times idiot dealer fixes, and now sometimes starts and doesn't related to the VATS ignition switch failure or its' intermittent. I rather be driving my Toyota Pickup more reliable at least. The monte always had problems I fix myself taking it to a dealer would bee $88 to evaluate and $90 na hour plus parts estimate around $500-600 to fix it. It definitely sounds like you got the speed cable sensor problems use ot show when it was wet now that I think of. The wheel bearings and sensors are most likeley OK.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:21 AM

damn chevygirls car sounds exactly like mine haha I had the wheel hub assembly replaced too and still have the same problem too turning right so I just coped with it and dnt turn right fast after backin gout haha and I had my cat converter replaced but an o2 sensor went out so I have ta get THAT replaced ha

Quick Reply: 2001 Monte Carlo Traction Control Problem