Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 MC SS HVAC blower not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Default 2001 MC SS HVAC blower not working

I have been reading all the questions on this forum but have not found my particular problem. The HVAC blower and outside temperature display stopped working on my 2001 Monte SS. At first they would start 10 minutes after the car started running but now appears to be totally dead. This wouldn’t be a problem but now it’s cold out, the windows are frosting up. I’m getting power where the wire harness connects to the relay/resistor component. Each speed of the blower is registering about 5.3 volts. There’s also an 11.5 volt “orange” wire in this harness that’s supposedly pulled in at the relay when the blower is set at high speed. The connector between the resistor and blower provides 5.2 volts at the 4 lower speeds but zero at the highest speed. I also ran a new ground from the blower connector and still the blower won’t work at any speed. I read somewhere that it may be an ignition switch problem but I think I can rule that out because we have power at the wiring harness. A friend tested the blower and mentioned it worked but I’m not sure how he confirmed it worked. I appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 PM

UPDATE: I decided to buy and install a new ignition switch and it solved my problems. The blower and outside temperature display now work!!!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 AM

I have the same problem but i have an 01 ls, no power to bottom cluster (fan speed control and rear defrost) i put in a new ignition switch and lock cylinder in march, but maybe its the switch again possibly?

Old 11-04-2013, 10:00 PM

Maybe 8 months ago I replaced the resistor. If I remember correctly, the only issue was the fan would only work on 5, and from what I saw no problems with the DIC or CC. Now, it seems the problem is back (just in time for cold weather of course).

It all started again when it would only blow on 5. Then it got worse, 5 would switch on and off, and I was hearing a switching/clicking sound down from the blower motor area in the passenger side of the cabin. Now the blower doesn't work at all, it will occasionally turn on right as I turn the car on for about 2 seconds then turn off again. The cruise still works when the blower won't, and the DIC apparently works except for the instant mileage always is blank. Could this be an indication that it is the ignition switch?

Could the replacement resistor have been burned out by the harness, or maybe I got a dud resistor to begin with? Should I start with a warranty return on the resistor?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Did you find out what it was? I am having the same problem with my 2000, started out only working on 5. Then quit working all together.. Every once in a while it will work for about a minute. Then nothing.. the switch panel works, the a/c compressor turns on. the rear defrost works. but no blower.. :/

Old 11-07-2013, 12:57 PM

The blower also started making a whining noise. That indicates to me that maybe the motor has seized up. but still not sure..

Old 11-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Default Hvac blower

Hi im new to the post and been having problems as well with the blower not working on any speed on my 01 Monte Carlo. So far I tested for power on the orange wire going into resistor and there was power 12v . Check for power at the blower motor plug and showed no power with switch set on 5 . Already replaced resistor pack and tested blower motor was good. I wanted to test relay but have no idea where it is if there is one? I wanted to bypass blower switch to see if its bad not sure what wires to bypass on harness? Also I replaced ignition switch about 2months ago . Cruise control stopped working as well.I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks Bob