Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 MC problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM
Default 2001 MC problems

Hey guys,

Got the hard starting fixed - changed the fuel filter but a few more problem arose, my low coolant light keep turning on and off and it's driving me nuts I also noticed that its smells a bit like coolant around the car but no leaks are apart coming from the rad, maybe a flush is needed? Also can I put any old coolant in or does it have to be a special kind ? O

There also seems to be a ticking coming from my alternator area only hear it when the belt is turning on the car...

Also where is the coolant sensor located on the tank itself?

Much appreciated

- victory

Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Victory
Hey guys,

Got the hard starting fixed - changed the fuel filter but a few more problem arose, my low coolant light keep turning on and off and it's driving me nuts I also noticed that its smells a bit like coolant around the car but no leaks are apart coming from the rad, maybe a flush is needed? Also can I put any old coolant in or does it have to be a special kind ? O

There also seems to be a ticking coming from my alternator area only hear it when the belt is turning on the car...
- victory

AAAaacctuually... First I'd check the weep hole on the water pump. I have the same year MC, therefore: 4_zps44ec41ba.jpg

I had the same problem. Intermittent coolant level warning lights, faint coolant smell, water pump bearing ticking away as its weep hole shed tears of precious antifreeze. What you're lookin' for is a coolant trail runnin' down the side of your water pump. Might be faint, might not... depends on how long that leaks been seepin'. Grab yourself a good flashlight. I'd suggest runnin'er warm before you start lookin' as well. Lookin for a reflection from liquid is easier to spot then dry buildup.

If it's not your water pump, (which I'm honestly betting it is...) then It's time to check around the throttle body. Again with a good flash light, look for any fluid around the TB, or any gaps in the seam.
2010-02-06_231314_1_zps071d8803.gif
Marked also is the location of the coolant temp sensor, which is also worth checking for leaks, while you're there lookin' anyway.

If not there, time to check your dipstick for any coolant in the oil.

Also, no... not any ol' coolant can ya toss in. Dexcool. Some may argue the point, but manufacture recommends, and horror stories abound of people blowin' such advice 4 sheets to the wind and winding up with costly repair bills their only reward for their courage.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The sensor is right under the radiator cap on the radiator. You can just unclip it and the light will stay off if you want.

Dexcool can get a little gunked up and cause the sensor to trip. You definitely should get a good flush though.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 AM

I threw a great big bottle of random coolant to make sure it has plenty, I will check on the water pump tomorrow sounds like it could be it , I already checked the oil it's fine , in fact it was just changed..

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 02-03-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 AM

the coolant sensors will get stuck inside sometimes, if you take an extension, and give it a "technical tap" the light may go off otherwise, you should replace it. wouldn't recommend unplugging it. its kinda an important sensor, ya know.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by pilot2411
wouldn't recommend unplugging it. its kinda an important sensor, ya know.
How important could it be? If you are a person who doesn't check your fluids at the proper intervals?

Originally Posted by Victory
I threw a great big bottle of random coolant to make sure it has plenty
If that stuff wasn't dexcool compatible there's a good chance you just screwed up your whole system

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 02-03-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:15 AM

it was a 50/50 mixture - the green ****. I'm not to worried, the leak seems to be coming from the holding tank, I filled it up to pretty much to the top to be a smart *** and the rubber house was covered in green coolant, now I just have to get a new rad support on it, mine rotted out from the bottom, do you know if they need to be welded or are they just bolted on?

- Victory

Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 AM

and I quote myself here.. "Also, no... not any ol' coolant can ya toss in. Dexcool. Some may argue the point, but manufacture recommends, and horror stories abound of people blowin' such advice 4 sheets to the wind and winding up with costly repair bills their only reward for their courage."

Meaning, these cars REQUIRE Dexcool.

Dex-Cool (ethylene glycol) is identical to the Chrysler & General Motors factory fill. Havoline had the original patent on Dex-Cool and manufactures it for GM. The benefits of Dex-Cool are:

• Lower alkalinity
  • Contains NO silicates, resulting in longer lasting water pump and engine seals; longer shelf life.
  • It is Nitrite-, borate-, phosphate-, nitrate- and amine-free.
  • 100% biodegradable in its pure unused condition.
  • Longer lasting (Dex-Cool has been shown to remain above 95% of its original concentration after 150,000 miles in automobiles)
For optimum year round protection against freezing, boiling and corrosion, a 50 percent Dex-Cool solution (1 part anti-freeze/1 part water) is recommended. For maximum protection against freezing in extremely cold areas a 60 percent solution (3 parts anti-freeze/2 parts water) can be used. Concentrations greater than 67 percent or less than 50 percent are not recommended.

Respect the carlo. Salude! o7

Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mixing the "green stuff" with dexcool can cause major problems. It could make your current coolant turn into gunk. I would recommend getting a full flush and refill. Also if your still losing coolant it could be the start of a head gasket or intake gasket leak.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Mixing the "green stuff" with dexcool can cause major problems. It could make your current coolant turn into gunk. I would recommend getting a full flush and refill. Also if your still losing coolant it could be the start of a head gasket or intake gasket leak.
X2 Im with you on this one also lou....Mixing is a huge NONO!!!!!

I use the cheap stuff... The one that mixes with all brands....
50/50 mix is a waste of money! Your paying full price for half antifreeze half water.... I prefer to buy full strength and mix it myself... I have antifreeze tester.. That way I know its mixed properly!

Quick Reply: 2001 MC problems