Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2001 LS, numerous issues, NOT a mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 12:53 PM
Default 2001 LS, numerous issues, NOT a mechanic

As my username says, I am not a mechanic. I have a physical handicap that keeps me from being able to work on my car. My limits are pretty much checking and adding oil. You get the idea...

My car is a 2001 Monte Carlo LS with low original miles. Only 80,300 miles. Yes, it was driven by a little old lady. My sister-in-law's grandmother. She took good care of it. When I bought from her in 2012, it had 33k miles. Had to replace the rack and pinion, but otherwise in excellent shape.

It still runs great, but there are numerous little things....

I have indicators on the dash that always stay on: after getting coolant flushed and the sensor replaced, "low coolant" came right back on. After I get tires rotated and balanced and filled, "low tire pressure" comes right back on.

The blinkers work, sometimes. And sometimes they don't. A mechanic told me it was a faulty switch in the hazard button. So, I punch the hazard button a couple times and the blinkers begin working. Not a big deal but a nuisance.

The fuel guage stopped working. Not a big deal either. I always fill up the tank and reset the tripmeter. Easy work around.

Recently, the temp gauge stopped working. I read other posts that said it was simple fix - change the thermostat. I assume that is the case with mine, too. Like the other posts, when the gauge isn't working, a fan stays on after turning off the engine. It's not running hot.

Kinda strange that suddenly the temp gauge started working again. And then quit again. I read others noticed that when the temp is cold, it quits working. That may have been my experience, too, as we are in winter. I just haven't paid attention to that yet.

What do you think is going on with the indicators that stay on?

Oh. One other thing. Sometimes, when my reverse lights are on (either in reverse gear or when I lock/unlock the car), they will blink and there's a clicking sound inside the cabin that matches the blinking of the lights.

I am in Phoenix and don't have a mechanic I know/trust yet. Any ideas of help would be much appreciated!

Old 02-02-2017, 04:18 PM

Welcome to the forum first and foremost.

Seems like a faulty coolant level sensor. Could be dirty or wiring. I think these are on the radiator on the passenger side.

Got a stock radio? I think you reset the TPMS "low tire pressure" in the stock radio. I am sure there is also a work around if you do not have a stock radio.

I've heard your MC hazard switches do this? I guess replacing is your best bet. Too bad it's not dirty dielectric grease on the switch like some other cars get.

As for the gauges... seems like a problem with the stepper motors - there are services that will replace those (and any bulbs if needed) or you could swap a junkyard cluster in but will lose the mileage.

As for the reverse lights, sounds like an electrical gremlin. Bad ground perhaps

Best of luck getting everything repaired and finding a good mechanic.

Last edited by WBody; 02-02-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The spendy fix could be that your Monte's BCM is failing. When they begin to fail, they tend to manifest numerous symptoms with regards to the lights and gauges...

Old 02-08-2017, 08:08 AM

That was the idea I had, the BCM. I have seen these do similar things plus more.
I think it is more than a coincidence that everything is falling apart one circuit at a time. For one car to have that many electrical issues your probably looking at one cause to all of it, especially with that low of miles.
The one that causes the most concern is the coolant and temp light. Make certain that you have the proper amount of coolant in the car. The temp sensor will only read water temp. If your out of water the temp sensor will read cold, even if the engine is running hot. I had an old Ford diesel pickup that lost all of the coolant through the block heater. My hired hand was driving it at the time. He overheated the engine enough to crack the block, but he never knew it, the gauge was reading cool. If your radiator is full then I would think about the BCM. They are fairly easy to change, it should be located under the dash on the far left side.