Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 Headlight Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Default 2001 Headlight Issues

2 days ago my Monte developed a headlight issue that's driving me absolutely insane. My right headlight is very dim and the left and right DRL is the same shade. You can barely see them lit. The left headlight looks normal but I no longer have my DRLs. When I start the car in broad daylight, the headlight automatically comes on. The fuses are all good and I replaced the headlight relay and still the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks..

Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It sounds like you have a blown fuse. Are you positive both fuses (DRL/EXIT LTS & EXT LTS) in the upper under hood panel are good? Did you conduct a continuity test on them? I have come across fuses in the past that looked perfectly fine but had a concealed break in the base.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM

I had a friend look up the DRL wiring on Alldata and it seems that there's an orange wire on the passenger side headlight harness that for the DRL and must have a break it in somewhere because there's no power to that side. So I ran a wire from the driver's side to the left side and now everything works fine until i hit the high beams...then the headlight fuse blows...eventually i'll have to find out where the break is and fix it.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check the connectors that plug into the bulbs. Corrosion/Oxidation build up on the contacts is a common problem - especially if the covers are missing from the back of the housings.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by New2MonteNY
2 days ago my Monte developed a headlight issue that's driving me absolutely insane. My right headlight is very dim and the left and right DRL is the same shade. You can barely see them lit. The left headlight looks normal but I no longer have my DRLs. When I start the car in broad daylight, the headlight automatically comes on. The fuses are all good and I replaced the headlight relay and still the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks..
HELP!!
I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS and I am having the same issue.
Any help is appreciated.. I really don't have 95$ per hour so the dealer can find what the issue is.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK first, if you are having a problem with one dim light, your fuses are fine. If a fuse is bad it BLOWS and what ever it is connected to will not come on. Fuses do not partially blow. It's all or nothing with them.
Now, do you have H.I.D.s without the kit? That will burn out your harness.
Have you checked the connectors inside the plug that goes into the bulb? Is there any significant corrosion or oxidation. Both will decrease current flow. So will a frayed wire. And decreased current flow to the bulb makes a bulb burn dimmer.
Have you tried replacing the bulb? Bulbs can die slowly or all at once. Usually a bulb will just Pop, burnt 100% of the time.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:17 PM

I did have HID lights then this happened.
I changed all four bulbs. So i am probably gonna have to replace the harness. How do I do that?

Old 01-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am not sure if you can. The previous owner of my car put in HID low beams without the kit. My connectors are almost shot. That harness runs inside the the headlight housing to the plug on the rights side of the housing (on the passenger side) and to the right side of the the housing (on the drivers side)
I plan to replace the housing's with the Black Euro Headlights for the 00 to 05 Monte Carlo. So when I have a problem i just take the plug out and clean up the connectors teal good and they work. This summer they will be changed.
Maybe one of the members here who have actually taken the headlight housings apart can give you better info.
Good Luck!!!!!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
I am not sure if you can. The previous owner of my car put in HID low beams without the kit. My connectors are almost shot. That harness runs inside the the headlight housing to the plug on the rights side of the housing (on the passenger side) and to the right side of the the housing (on the drivers side)
I plan to replace the housing's with the Black Euro Headlights for the 00 to 05 Monte Carlo. So when I have a problem i just take the plug out and clean up the connectors teal good and they work. This summer they will be changed.
Maybe one of the members here who have actually taken the headlight housings apart can give you better info.
Good Luck!!!!!
I haven't gotten my harness installed for my HID'S yet as I couldn't find the ground for the drivers side light. But I haven't had an issue with it so I haven't made it a priority. When I measured the amperage draw with the ballasts attached and the stock lights the were within 500 mA so I assumed the stock wiring would be fine.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:45 AM

I connected both headlamp housings on the right side and they did the same thing. Very dull light and the DRL was on with a very low light. So the problems are definitely on the right side. Does anyone know what to do next?

Quick Reply: 2001 Headlight Issues