Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 Monte with strange problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 03:26 AM
Default 2000 Monte with strange problems

I will try to be as detailed as possible so bare with me.

Lately when I start my car the ABS light and passenger seat belt light stays on. Some times after a few minutes I will hear three chimes and it will go out. Other times I turn on my turn signal and I get a buzzing from behind the dash, normally last about 3-5 seconds, then I get battery light, emergency break light, check engine lights come on along with ABS and passenger seat belt which were already on. Then all lights go out and turn signal starts working.

Other times no ABS or passenger seat belt light on but when turn signal use I will get that buzz for a few seconds then ABS and passenger seat belt light will light up for a few seconds, then everything lights up and goes out and turn signals work like designed.

This doesn't happen all the time, just now and then.

Any ideas??

Bob

Old 05-21-2014, 03:41 AM
Cool Please check back

Any ideas??

Bob

Hi Bob, sorry to read about your issues. Please be patience & check back on your thread to see what our expert tech member's suggest/post about your problem.

Good Luck on getting it resolved.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Bob,
I'm thinking there is a short in your dash. Could be in the directional switch, gauge cluster or in the fuse panel. Look for a ground that is common to all the affected indicators. I would lean towards the directional switch because your description indicates that this happens when you use your turn signals.
Does the buzzing in the dash sound like it is coming from your hazard button?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:37 AM

Hi again.
I can't really tell the source of the buzzing. But this morning when it happened again, the buzzing when I used my turning signals I tried the emergency flashers and they worked with no buzzing. Turn signal still buzzing and when I applied the breaks while buzzing my break felt funny, possibly the ABS stopped working. Never noticed that before.

A short would make since, I have no drawings to look at to find a common point for a ground.

I should also say that all of my gauges work even when ABS is lit up and buzzer going off.

Bob

Old 05-22-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Gustafson
I will try to be as detailed as possible so bare with me.

Lately when I start my car the ABS light and passenger seat belt light stays on. Some times after a few minutes I will hear three chimes and it will go out. Other times I turn on my turn signal and I get a buzzing from behind the dash, normally last about 3-5 seconds, then I get battery light, emergency break light, check engine lights come on along with ABS and passenger seat belt which were already on. Then all lights go out and turn signal starts working.

Other times no ABS or passenger seat belt light on but when turn signal use I will get that buzz for a few seconds then ABS and passenger seat belt light will light up for a few seconds, then everything lights up and goes out and turn signals work like designed.

This doesn't happen all the time, just now and then.

Any ideas??

Bob
I had the same problems and more. Turned out to be the ignition switch and is a very common problem on these cars. I only had to replace the switch itself and not the key cylinder. I just put the original cylinder into the new switch and it's been 100% reliable ever since. Just do a search on my posts to find the thread I started. Good Luck, hope it's this simple for you too.

UPDATE - here is the thread link, I was originally chasing what I thought might be a BCM problem. The problems started with the no start/security situation and continued to get worse until the ignition switch was replaced.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...roblems-38266/

Last edited by jim1405; 05-22-2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My guess would be multifunction switch or BCM issue, but it sounds like an ignition switch could be the culprit also...

Old 05-23-2014, 12:26 AM

Thanks for all the tips.

I'll replace the switch this weekend and post an update.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:43 AM

Sorry for my ignorance but is this what you mean??

Mobile: BWD Ignition Switch CS600: Get the best Ignition Starter Switch at Advance Auto Parts

Oh how I miss the old cars!! Give me a book of matches and I could gap plugs and set the points.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Gustafson
Sorry for my ignorance but is this what you mean??

Mobile: BWD Ignition Switch CS600: Get the best Ignition Starter Switch at Advance Auto Parts

Oh how I miss the old cars!! Give me a book of matches and I could gap plugs and set the points.
Yep, that's the one. Looks like that one is pretty spendy though. I ordered a Dorman 924-701 from rockauto.com for about $40 including shipping. Also, I sent you a private messages to a DIY writeup link for the ignition switch replacement. I don't think they really want us to post links to other forums.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 PM

Sorry about that. Thought it was a harmless post to make sure I got the right part.
It was pricey but I couldn't wait for a mail order part.

Changed it today, thank goodness for YouTube videos.
So far so good, no buzzing, no ABS light lit.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Quick Reply: 2000 Monte with strange problems