6th Gen ('00-'05): 2000 monte help no heat overheating - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Old 12-05-2017, 06:01 PM

Default 2000 monte help no heat overheating

got a 2000 monte carlo 3.4 the problem is when i go to warm car up i get heat untill it almost gets to temp then i lose heat and car temp guage goes to everheat, sometimes both radiator hoses get sucked flat,it only happens when it cold out drove car all summer no over heating issues,i did put a new thermostat in car and flushed the cooling system and put new coolent in it,when it does it i can pull hose off of the line coming out of water pump to bleed system seems to work fine then,and i open up bleeder by thermostat.when running i can feel little thumps in the radiator hoses and the hose off the water pump,there is no sign of internal coolent leak as well as out side what could be the problem.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:03 PM

o forgot to mention if i got car running and take radiator cap off the coolent wants to blow out of the neck dont know if that normal or not.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hopefully you just have and bad radiator cap that's not opening under pressure to allow coolant to flow into the overflow reservoir. This puts the cooling system under vacuum causing hose(s) to collapse. A leaking cap will allow air to be drawn into the cooling system that develops vacuum as the engine cools. The "little thumps" in the hose are air bubbles that still need to be bled out. Leave the hoses alone when trying to bleed, that lets more air in. Use the bleeder. If the problem persists there might be a head gasket leak allowing combustion gasses to enter the cooling system. with the engine cold, the radiator filled to 1" below the bottom of the neck, take the radiator cap off and start the car. If coolant immediately starts erupting from the radiator fill neck it's a pretty sure sign of a head gasket leak.

Last edited by plumbob; 12-05-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Smile

X 2 on that.
Also check you radiator cap to make sure it is properly sealed it sometimes can be difficult to make it turn and fall into the sequence around the radiator neck opening.
You really have to push and turn at the same time and then sometimes it doesn't hook up the proper way.
Hope that helps.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:36 PM

i only have one bleeder by the thermostate the other one on top of water pump broke and i tried everything to get it to come off to change that why i just lossen clamp on the little hose up from bleeder.i put a good cap on the car also that i know is good does same thing and hosses dont colaps when cold they will colapsewhen it is hot and on the throttle.dont get how it can have a bad head gasket when it runs great,gets really good gas milage.does start hard when hot but think that just a sticky air idle control valve.so if i take rad cap off when it cold start it and coolent spills out it has a bad head gasket,there is no coolant getting in oil.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:57 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Coolant won't just spill out of the radiator if a head gasket is bad, it will shoot out about 4-6". Another possibility is blockage in the radiator or heater core. Newer radiators are aluminum (vs. copper), have less surface area and don't last as long. I've read that it's recommended they be replaced every 10 years. You could try reverse flushing both the heater core and the radiator, but that's usually temporary. Might be worth trying on the heater core though since they're a real PIA to replace. You could try bypassing the heater core by disconnecting the hoses where they connect to the belt tensioner. Then take a foot long piece of 5/8" heater hose and connect each end to the BT nipples where you removed the hoses, but obviously you will then have no heat.

Last edited by plumbob; 12-06-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:00 PM

i flushed cooling system it not plugged,coolent doesnt spray out when cap is off but does come puking out like few inches high.what would bypassing the heater core have to do with the problem i am having.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:13 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Any blockage in the cooling system, which the heater core is part of, will reduce circulation and might cause the symptoms you have. If the heater core was clogged it could be bypassed.

Here's an example of a car with a head gasket leak:

Here's how to backflush a heater core:

Last edited by plumbob; 12-06-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:56 AM

i backed flushed the system just like in vid plus flushed motor and rad out to got good flow through everything and other vid about the head gasket mine doesnt bubble it comes pouring out of neck then gets sucked backed in the flows back out,and when it is doing what it does it acting like a plugged heater core one hose hot one cold i bleed it and a get bunch steam coming out by thermostate then coolent then it fine for a bit then heat will go in and out,heat wil go out when temp gets to where thermostate opens then when it opens i get heat car cools down the i loose heat and process starts over,it acting like evrything is bad but it seems to all be good dont get it.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:14 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Sounds like a restriction in the cooling system, most likely in the heater core, but I wouldn't rule out the radiator or a combination of the two. The heater core is a PIB job mainly because it's awkward to get to. I suggest bypassing the heater core as described in previous post, it only takes ten minutes. Then see if the overheating and hose collapse goes away. If it does, you know what the problem is.