Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 Monte Carlo making winding noise while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 03:41 AM
Default 2000 Monte Carlo making winding noise while driving

Hi people.

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo LS with just under 100k miles on it. When I am driving the car it makes a winding noise when I am going about 20-60mph. The sound seems to be louder when the car is coasting. The noise can almost be related to the sound of an airplane - it almost sounds like it is the tires but the tires are fine.

Today I jacked up the car and accelerated to allow the wheels to spin to see if I could diagnose the sound. I noticed that there was grease coming out of the CV joints. Considering the mileage I figured it was time to replace the half shafts. Well I just got done, took the car for a drive and the noise is still there.

My fathers theory is that the half shafts being bad interfered with the bearings or something else within the transaxle (I drove the vehicle for about two weeks with this noise ). I hope this is not the case. We jacked it up again after replacing the half shafts and I accelerated while he was under the car. He says the sound seems like it could be coming from the transaxle or the starter area.

Has anyone had this issue or does anyone have any insight towards helping me find the right diagnosis for my Monte Carlo? Anything will help.

Thank you much !!!

Old 11-18-2016, 03:47 AM

if you loose all the grease out of a CV axle, then it will seize up. I had my CV boot pierced and was leaking grease before, however it never became as bad as yours making noise.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a transmission issue... If the axle has been replaced and the noise is coming from the transmission, I guess you could check for a cracked flexplate, or possibly the differential. They make weird noises.

Are there any adverse effects, besides the noise?

Old 11-21-2016, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Sounds like a transmission issue... If the axle has been replaced and the noise is coming from the transmission, I guess you could check for a cracked flexplate, or possibly the differential. They make weird noises.

Are there any adverse effects, besides the noise?
There aren't any adverse effects. The car drives fine and the motor sounds quiet and smooth. The car shifts without any issues as well.

Began to notice now that the noise stops when the car is turning to the left but not the right... I am going to replace wheel bearings and see if that does anything.

(I bought this 2000 Monte Carlo LS when it had 90k miles on it a few months ago. Car is in great shape and I got it from original owner who took care of it. Only paid $1600 dollars - I know this car will last me a long time if I get the parts it needs. I couldn't imagine there being any tranny issues already with it, the guy was old and took care of his vehicles)

Old 11-23-2016, 09:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Still, these transmissions are like glass. But you are right, it could very well be a hub issue or another bad axle, especially with the noise stopping while turning one direction.