Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2000 Monte Carlo low rpms

Old 08-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Default 2000 Monte Carlo low rpms

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS, and for awhile now I have been having some trouble with it.

The car always starts, but sometimes when I start the car it acts like it's straining itself to start.

When the car is started, the rpms start at 1000 in park, but slowly fall to 800. Then right when I put it in reverse or drive they plummet to 500 and bounce to 700 and fall back to 500. It's like the car is trying to keep itself going. When I drive the rpms are fine, but then sometimes when I stop at a stoplight and try driving when the light turns green my car will just stall. (The people behind me get po'ed and I have to just quickly restart my car and drive off). The stalling happened to me about 3 times now, but the rough idling has been going on for months. I believe it has been happening ever since the catalytic converter got fixed. Also I don't know if this could be part of the problem, but when the car is rough idling like that my sensor on the roof that tells you the amount of miles you have left in the gas tank doesn't turn on, and using electricity say for rolling down the windows, dims the lights and dashboard in the car.

I researched information, but I can't tell if this is a battery problem or and oxygen sensor problem. I thought I should get some more experienced opinions before I go messing with anything.

I am a car newbie and I don't know what information is important information so I'm trying to provide anything I can. If you guys could point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it. I've always wanted to learn about cars so I guess now is the time. Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There is a good chance that your MAF sensor just needs to be cleaned.

You will need a T-20 Security Torx Bit, and a can of MAF cleaner spray. Disconnect the negative battery terminal, unplug the MAF sensor, unbolt the 2 bolts and just lift straight up. Spray the sensor wire down with the MAF spray (never touch the wire). You should see it change from black to silver. Let it air dry for about 15 minutes, then reinstall, plug in, and reconnect the battery.

There's a good chance that is your problem. However it could be that your IAC valve is also sticking with carbon and not allowing the air flow to bypass the throttle blade when it's closed, but I would start with the MAF cleaning, since it's usually recommended to do that at least every oil change, and most people never do it.

iac_01.jpg

Old 09-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Hey ChibiBlackSheep,

thanks for the help. Sorry for that late reply. I got caught up in work, and school, and I didn't have time to try and fix the car, but now I am back and ready to finish this project. After some research it seems like the MAF is the way to go, but unfortunately I must have gave you the wrong car because the diagrams you gave me didn't match my car. I have a 2000 Monte Carlo and not the 2000 monte carlo SS.