Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 MC SS stumbling, stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Default 2000 MC SS stumbling, stalling....PROBLEM SOLVED

so this is my first chevy. it was givin to me by my aunt who said "it looks to hip for someone her age to drive" so she gave it to me. SCORE for me.

anyways she then tells me it has something wrong with it and has been sitting for a month or two because of this issue so the problem discribed is not because of sitting. she says someone told her it was the MAF.

so i did some searching around on this site.

first
i pulled the iac and it was closed. when i say this i mean it was pushed all the way out blocking the hole that the plunger is supposed to block (at times). i read you can remove the iac but leave it plugged in, turn the key but dont start it and the plunger should move in or out.
so i did this and it funtioned , at that moment properly.

then
i took apart the mas and tested it as this site Testing mass air flow sensor directed me to.

i couldnt get a diffinitive answer on the ohms and when i tested it by blowing into it the volts didnt not fluctuate.

so i put it back together started the car and it started up and idled nice and smooth as if there wasnt any problems. so i took it across the street to get some gas in it. it drove great, no issue.

i get back to the house and let it idle, never turning it off. after about a min of idling it starts to go up and down like a vacuum leak would sound. so i unplug the mas and the idle just goes up to 3000 and sits there. i plug the mas back in and it starts stumbling again. so i unplug the iac and it stayed ****ty. so i plug that back in.
so i unbolt the iac but leave it in place. then i angled the iac alittle to let a tiny bit of air in it seems to level out. put her to bed for the night.
that was yesterday

today this is what i got. when i start it, it stumbles and then idles high for a sec or 2 then it comes down in rpm and fluctuates between 500 and 1000. then it will spike a hair (1500-2000rpm) sometimes and backdown. sometimes i can hear backfiring.
sometimes when i start it it stalls out, sometimes it starts fine. when it was stummbling i unplugged the MAF and it stalls the car, it didnt get better.

i went and bought some CRC MAF cleaner tried that it seemed to level out alittle(mabey) but still rough starts. i checked the k&n filter it was clean.

it is throwing a code i have to get it across the street to have it scanned.
im sure ill have more answers after that
but do you guys got anything before then?

Last edited by HPNOTIQracing; 03-15-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: PROBLEM SOLVED
Old 03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could be several things. Scan the car for the check engine code, I'm sure that will let you know what the problem is.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:59 AM

well i started the car a few times after the cleaning the MAF the CEL was gone and the car acted like it never had any problems.
this morning i started it and it was ****ty again. not that bad tho. so i took it up and down the street a few times. then it got really bad stalling while driving, wont stay started and the CEL is back.

so its at the shop gettin scanned now so i can see. ill keep you posted

Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

If they say your catalytic converter is failing, don't let them replace it for you.

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...=551&catid=110

Let that do the replacing

Old 03-02-2010, 12:28 PM

yeah this morning i thought i smelled rotten eggs alittle so it could be the cat.
i dont plan on paying them anything ive always done the work myself but ive always had cars that i could do the 'key dance' with(dodge mostly)i just turn the key off and on a few times and bingo cel light blinks and questions are answered. or id just bring it to autozone but that when i was in the city. now im out in the sticks and ther nearest autozone is 15 miles away and this car wouldnt have made it. so i took it just across the street to have them scan it and tell me what they think it is.
when they tell me i then fix it myself.

im in MASS right now but going back to FLA(no inspection) in a few weeks so if its the CAT i may just remove it and put a straight pipe. if i can with these cars without issue. any idea on that?

EDIT: just looked at that straight pipe that may be the way to go.

Last edited by HPNOTIQracing; 03-02-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:12 PM

put in a new tps, iac, and coil packs as the garage said that that was the problems and none of them fixed it. should i get a maf?
sometimes it runs strong down the road and other times it dogs down the road. if i cant get it started or it is idling near death if i unplug the maf it does get better but not by much. does it sound like the maf?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Did you ever get the codes scanned?

Possible problems that come to mind from your symptoms would include a MAF sensor gone bad, or a fuel system problem.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 PM

i got the garage to check the car out and they did it for free so i didnt ask for a print out or anything from the scan but they told me it was a bad coil pack. i replaced them and still the problem persists.
i didnt cheack any fuel. i should atleast check my pressure and filter before paying out for a MAF

Old 03-14-2010, 07:17 PM

MAF was changed. seems to have fixed the problem

Old 05-29-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by HPNOTIQracing
MAF was changed. seems to have fixed the problem
where did you get your maf from? i have the same problem right now and im running no cat with maf unplugged but the idle is high without the maf i got a maf from advanced but it has the same problem so im thinking oem?

Quick Reply: 2000 MC SS stumbling, stalling