Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1st-2nd gear shift shudder before and after Rebuild

Old 01-05-2018, 11:12 AM
1 Year Member
Default 1st-2nd gear shift shudder before and after Rebuild

Hi and thanks in advance. Have 04 LS with 111,000 miles, has had usual described intermittent poor shifting at low speeds for 30,000 miles, but last month much worse, really was slipping badly in first and second gear, almost bucking after catching. Anyway, just got car back today after complete rebuild at a reputable place. It is obviously great in first now, from zero smooth and immediate take-off. However, the first several shifts from first into second were associated with a minor shudder, not anywhere as bad as before the rebuild, but similar to what would happen intermittently before. I believe everything was changed out, including solenoids, but not torque converter. Could this be causing isolated low rpm bad shift into second. Doesn't seem to happen when giving it more gas/quicker RPMS, occurs with slower acceleration such as gradual increase in speed in traffic. The shudder is mild but aggravating. Thanks for any advice/ideas. PS- mechanic and I drove the car for 20+ minutes. It has noticeable shudder the first shift, then uncommon and intermittent and never with lots of gas. He said drive it, break it in, has a year warranty and possible issue is noted.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:12 PM

Gerry W,

My 06 LTZ has had a similar problem for the last 100,000 miles or so. If you roll off from a dead stop and don't give it much gas it will shudder like its hopping between 1st and 2nd. Doesn't happen often and usually when the tranny is cold. If you firmly apply the gas from a dead stop it shifts a little firm but doesn't shudder. Once it's warm it doesn't happen. I'm right at 230K today and I've never done anything to correct that shudder except normal maintenance (transmission pan service at 200K). Full disclosure, I recently started having additional problems with my transmission that I'm going to start a new thread on. I'm considering a rebuild or a new torque converter. I'm currently leaning toward the torque converter and the solenoid for it. I will post in the forum if it solves the "shudder".

Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Gerry W
Hi and thanks in advance. Have 04 LS with 111,000 miles, has had usual described intermittent poor shifting at low speeds for 30,000 miles, but last month much worse, really was slipping badly in first and second gear, almost bucking after catching. Anyway, just got car back today after complete rebuild at a reputable place. It is obviously great in first now, from zero smooth and immediate take-off. However, the first several shifts from first into second were associated with a minor shudder, not anywhere as bad as before the rebuild, but similar to what would happen intermittently before. I believe everything was changed out, including solenoids, but not torque converter. Could this be causing isolated low rpm bad shift into second. Doesn't seem to happen when giving it more gas/quicker RPMS, occurs with slower acceleration such as gradual increase in speed in traffic. The shudder is mild but aggravating. Thanks for any advice/ideas. PS- mechanic and I drove the car for 20+ minutes. It has noticeable shudder the first shift, then uncommon and intermittent and never with lots of gas. He said drive it, break it in, has a year warranty and possible issue is noted.
I think this is common after a rebuild I hear the same story from folks, however you may want to try some Lucas Oil trans treatment, they normally don't add that in so you don't want to overfill it.
If you ask the shop they may put it in for you.
I have talked with several people who have had good luck with it.

Search this Thread