Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1998 Passenger Side Air Bag Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Default 1998 Passenger Side Air Bag Removal

The sun has caused the vinyl cover on the passenger side airbag to deform and pull away from the
cover. I would like to recover the cover but do not know how to remove the cover or air bag assembly. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:31 AM
Default RE: 1998 Passenger Side Air Bag Removal

I thought it might be important to note that pulling the fuse and disconnecting the battery is necessary, but air bag systems have capacitors built into them, so if the battery was to be destroyed or cable come loose during an accident the capacitor would have stored energy to release the bags... so after disconnecting the battery it is usually an 1/2 hour to a hour for the capacitor to discharge its stored power.. but to be safe i would find the proper guidelines or let someone else take care of it...

Old 01-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: 1998 Passenger Side Air Bag Removal

the passanger side one is just a couple bolts and the entire unit slides out, its only about a 10 min job to do both air bags in the car, its more getting at the air bag module thats hard because you have to take the passenger seat out of the vehicle and cut the carpet a little to get at it, because its under the carpet under the passanger seat. there is a little slit where the module is in the carpet, but its not enough room to do anything..

i'm not sure about this...so dont go and do it without talking to a tech about it...but wouldn't disconecting the air bag module under the seat be the way to go to take the air bags out, because then you could be sure they would not blow....
the only reason i'm not sure about this is because i'm not sure if disconecting it will set the air bags off...i dont think it will..but better to ask a gm tech first

Old 01-22-2010, 09:58 AM

Lord this is an old thread, but the answers are totally off, so here's my stab at it. I don't think anyone out there is actually trying to remove their passenger side airbag, they just want to remove the cover or panel on top of the dash. This cover is held in place at the front by two "snap clips" for lack of a better description. You lift firmly at the front of the cover and it pops up. The back of the panel is attached to the dash by a fabric hinge and several bolts. The airbag is under this panel/cover. That said, I don't think recovering this panel is feasable. You maight be able to find a junk yard replacement if you're lucky. If from a donor car of a different color, it could even be painted to match with the appropriate vinyl paint.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:22 PM

JaxJim was exactly right. I'm trying to solve this exact problem. You may want to remove the wooden decorative strip between the airbag and the glovebox. It will simply pop off as well. Then you can get a good grip on the airbag cover.

One catch is that the cover is attached to the back of the airbag. I can see one bolt, but I'm worried that you'll have to remove the entire airbag to disconnect the two.

Does anyone know for sure?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 PM

My 95 has similar problem. To remove I just pulled on the loose corner and it came off the foward end and sides. I removed the "wood" panel and it pulled loose on the front. I don't have any clips. It appears to be glued on.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 PM

i just pulled the airbag out got a new cover painted it put it bak on deleted driverside airbag by installing steering wheel out of a 1986 monte ss after i pulled the airbag coil it bolted rite on

Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 PM

Tread Resurrection

This is from when I replaced my passanger airbag in my 1999 MONTE CARLO LS

DSC00166_zps058d0127.jpg

DSC00169_zpsdab79226.jpg

DSC00163-2_zps2332dfbd.jpg

Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 PM

Does anyone know how to remove the whole top dash? Not the front plastic dash where the radio sits but the whole top piece dash? Mine is warped and I want to pull it out and put in a nice looking junkyard one. Just not sure how to get to any of the bolts holding the dash on. I don't need the passenger airbag side cover like in this thread. Just need the actual dash that goes around it.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:55 AM

If I'm correct the part that's warped is the base for the whole dash an would need to be removed. I've seen a fifth Gen Monte Carlos in the junkyard that had the entire dash removed but I didn't think to examine the mounting points. I think it's worth finding a monte at the yard an disassemble it. It may required several days to do or you finish in a day depending on your tools an patients. If you do it would be nice to see pictures or maybe a walk through.

Quick Reply: 1998 Passenger Side Air Bag Removal