Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): 1997 z34

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 11:21 PM
Default 1997 z34

Hey all. My '97 Z34 has quite the laundry list of issues. It has 201k miles on it. I keep up on servicing the vehicle. It has new sparkplugs, water pump, thermometer, head gasket, timing belt, timing belt gears, all within the last year or so.

Firstly, the engine either bogs down and then revs up to about 2.5rpm when I put it in park, or just completely shuts off after I put it in park. (it's actually died on me while driving once before)

Whilst driving, no matter how long or short of a drive, warmed up or not, when shifting up/down a gear the rpms will be at about 2.5-3 and then immediately fall to about 1.5 after the gear shift. Feels like the transmission slips a little bit when that happens as well.

Fairly certain there is a leak in my coolant and power steering. Had to refill the entire coolant reservoir after about a week after having already refilled the entire reservoir. But it was extremely cold. Power steering dries out every other mon the or so. Noticed a redish tinted liquid unerneath the carriage.

Windshield wash spray is very weak most times and the reservoir runs dry petty quick.

Had this car for 6 years and it is a beast. Would like to keep it for as long as possible. Any tips, tricks, answers to my woes will be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-18-2016, 07:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can't recall if the 97 z34 has the 3800 engine or 3.4 d.o.h.c. . I've had a 95 and 96 z34 both had the 3.4. I was thinking 3800 wasn't until the 98 model year.
Anyhow I ran into the rpm fluctuation before was was the upper plenum gasket leaking, sucking air. Also had the ps leak from the pressure line. If also loosing coolant, I'd look into lower intake gaskets, it's very common. You shouldn't be adding coolant every week.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

This one has the 3.4 d.o.h.c.
Normal fluid changes are good.
Check your fluid levels in the Transmission and make sure the color is red.
Check the hoses to make sure they are good, check all the connections for the hoses as well. As the hose ages in the engine area they are continually deteriorating
I agree with the post from Aerocoupe86