Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2nd Gen ('73-'77): 1975 monte 350 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 07:52 AM
Default 1975 monte 350 wont start

Hi there I'm having trouble with my car starting and hopefully one on here can help me out. My car wouldn't start when I would turn the key you wouldn't hear anything at all. So I changed out my starter and solenoid and same issue. Both starter and solenoid tested good prior to putting in vehicle. I get 12volts on control terminal to solenoid when key is in start. I get 12volts on big battery terminal to solenoid all the time. I did continuity checks from block ground to starter and solenoid all less than 1 ohm. I cleaned all connectors with wire brush. And my battery is good. Any help would be great as I've been working in it every evening this week with no luck and no other ideas. Thanks

Old 03-03-2016, 08:18 AM

Sorry to read about your mystery problem & I hope that a member can help when they see your thread.

Could it be a bad ignition Switch. Does your ignition have a neutral safety switch that could be malfunctioning ?

Good Luck

Old 03-03-2016, 08:21 AM

It has one but when my ignition is in start I get 12.4volt at control terminal on solenoid so I believe it is functioning properly

Old 03-06-2016, 04:26 PM

if you have another pair of hands and are set up to do this safely:

measure battery voltage across the terminals when you try to start. most likely it isnt going to change.

measure from engine block to negative terminal on the battery and try to start. i would hope it goes from zero volts to almost 12 indicating the negative lead that bonds the engine (and starter) to battery minus is corroded or just plain broken down.

maybe the heavy lead from engine to chassis conducts enough for a voltmeter to say 12 volts, but is too far gone to let the starter motor draw the 200 or 300 amps its needs to crank.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 AM

OK thanks. I figured it out I bought a new starter and the terminals were different than my previous one. So turns out just a user error. Thanks for the replies