Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1970 Fiber Optic signal and Wire help!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Default 1970 Fiber Optic signal and Wire help!

Anyone know if there is a repair kit for the fiber optic's turn signals? I bought a 70 Monte carlo and the cable is cut. Also does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Cleveland/Akron area that works on electrical systems on 1st Gen. Monte Carlo's?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Fiber optic turn signal??? It should be a regular bulb an socket with 2 or 3 wires

Old 10-23-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 9teen70monte
Also does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Cleveland/Akron area that works on electrical systems on 1st Gen. Monte Carlo's?
You could try Rick Yusi Automotive, he's in Middleburg Heights right off I-71 if you get off at 42. He does new cars, I go to him, but he's also into old cars - he's got quite the Corvette collection.

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 10-23-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by 9teen70monte
Anyone know if there is a repair kit for the fiber optic's turn signals? I bought a 70 Monte carlo and the cable is cut. Also does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Cleveland/Akron area that works on electrical systems on 1st Gen. Monte Carlo's?
The fiber optic turn signal option is pretty rare on the 70 Monte and you probably won't find a repair kit for it. I know none of my parts catalogs for the first generation MC have it. I used to have a 69 Caprice with this option so there are other gm vehicles that used it. I think cadillac used it.

My 70 MC has the fiber optic windshield washer monitor system that was intact when I bought the car but the body shop that worked on the car, broke it. I found some fiber optic cable at the chevy dealer for some other vehicle that I spliced into my cable using a piece of rubber hose.

You might try the GM dealer to see if they can come up with anything. Good luck.

The wiring system on this car is pretty basic. What are you needing done.?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 70monte1
The fiber optic turn signal option is pretty rare on the 70 Monte and you probably won't find a repair kit for it. I know none of my parts catalogs for the first generation MC have it. I used to have a 69 Caprice with this option so there are other gm vehicles that used it. I think cadillac used it.

My 70 MC has the fiber optic windshield washer monitor system that was intact when I bought the car but the body shop that worked on the car, broke it. I found some fiber optic cable at the chevy dealer for some other vehicle that I spliced into my cable using a piece of rubber hose.

You might try the GM dealer to see if they can come up with anything. Good luck.

The wiring system on this car is pretty basic. What are you needing done.?
I never knew this.Learn some thing new everyday.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by zenloser
I never knew this.Learn some thing new everyday.
Hi Chris, I also learned something new...
`Danny good luck on finding a person in Cuyahoga County that can assist/help ~> Good Luck

Found the below on the web that shows pictures on this thread topic on Fiber Optic Light Monitoring.
In the picture below you will notice another rare option which was only available on the 1970 Monte Carlo. The Fiber Optic Light Monitoring system. On top of each front fender you will notice a small chrome piece directly behind the head lamps. These two chrome pieces each contained two indicators which were illuminated by fiber optic strands running from each head light and each turn signal/parking light.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/294862...et-monte-carlo

Source Link

Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 AM

Hi Danny, `if you are a member of Car Domain> http://www.cardomain.com/ <, you might want to consider contacting the owner of the above Monte...He maybe able to assist..

Vehicle Owner from above

Member ID: robsmodelamonte
Login to Message

Last edited by Space; 10-29-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You may try a corvette place for parts..

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR class=even vAlign=top><FORM method=post action=corvette.html><TD><NOBR>602-643</NOBR></TD><TD align=center><NOBR>1968-71</NOBR></TD><TD align=left>Fiber-Optic Light Monitor Repair Kit (2' of cable and sleeve to splice broken fiber optic cable)
<TABLE><TBODY><TR vAlign=middle><TD></TD><TD>Tech Instructions </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD><TD noWrap align=center>$9.99</TD></FORM></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 10-29-2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by zjerry
You may try a corvette place for parts..

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR class=even vAlign=top><FORM method=post action=corvette.html><TD><NOBR>602-643</NOBR></TD><TD align=center><NOBR>1968-71</NOBR></TD><TD align=left>Fiber-Optic Light Monitor Repair Kit (2' of cable and sleeve to splice broken fiber optic cable)
<TABLE><TBODY><TR vAlign=middle><TD></TD><TD>Tech Instructions </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD noWrap align=center>$9.99</TD></FORM></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Hi Jerry, you never cease to amaze me with your auto knowledge about vehicles...Thanks to you & member's for helping our new member.

====================================
Hi Danny,
Below is another site/link to check out for repairs in your area of Cleveland, Ohio...You just type in your zip code to get a list of repair shops...I hope it helps
Auto Repair and Maintenance Estimates | Auto Shop and Mechanic Ratings <~ Click this link & follow directions..It's a free service..Good Luck
Sample below that's on above link
Find the best mechanics near you:

Find the best mechanics near you:

<SELECT id=brand_selector name=directory_search_form[car_brand_names]><OPTION value="">- Select Car Make -</OPTION><OPTION value=acura>Acura</OPTION><OPTION value=audi>Audi</OPTION><OPTION value=bmw>BMW</OPTION><OPTION value=buick>Buick</OPTION><OPTION value=cadillac>Cadillac</OPTION><OPTION selected value=chevrolet>Chevrolet</OPTION><OPTION value=chrysler>Chrysler</OPTION><OPTION value=dodge>Dodge</OPTION><OPTION value=ford>Ford</OPTION><OPTION value=geo>Geo</OPTION><OPTION value=gmc>GMC</OPTION><OPTION value=honda>Honda</OPTION><OPTION value=hummer>Hummer</OPTION><OPTION value=hyundai>Hyundai</OPTION><OPTION value=infiniti>Infiniti</OPTION><OPTION value=isuzu>Isuzu</OPTION><OPTION value=jaguar>Jaguar</OPTION><OPTION value=jeep>Jeep</OPTION><OPTION value=kia>Kia</OPTION><OPTION value=land+rover>Land Rover</OPTION><OPTION value=lexus>Lexus</OPTION><OPTION value=lincoln>Lincoln</OPTION><OPTION value=mazda>Mazda</OPTION><OPTION value=mercedes-benz>Mercedes-Benz</OPTION><OPTION value=mercury>Mercury</OPTION><OPTION value=mini>Mini</OPTION><OPTION value=mitsubishi>Mitsubishi</OPTION><OPTION value=nissan>Nissan</OPTION><OPTION value=oldsmobile>Oldsmobile</OPTION><OPTION value=plymouth>Plymouth</OPTION><OPTION value=pontiac>Pontiac</OPTION><OPTION value=porsche>Porsche</OPTION><OPTION value=saab>Saab</OPTION><OPTION value=saturn>Saturn</OPTION><OPTION value=scion>Scion</OPTION><OPTION value=subaru>Subaru</OPTION><OPTION value=suzuki>Suzuki</OPTION><OPTION value=toyota>Toyota</OPTION><OPTION value=volkswagen>Volkswagen</OPTION><OPTION value=volvo>Volvo</OPTION></SELECT>near zip code______Find a Top Shop

Last edited by Space; 10-29-2012 at 04:15 PM.