Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: 12 Volt socket/cigarette lighter fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 PM
1 Year Member
Default 12 Volt socket/cigarette lighter fix

Hey,

I bought a 12v FM Bluetooth adapter/battery volt meter for my Monte. It works fine in the back seat 12 volt socket, but not in the front socket. Front socket seems to be a bit rusty and corroded after removing the cigarette lighter probably for the first time in years. (This car is still new to me) My question is, is it likely that replacing the socket alone will fix the problem, or are there any common problems with the front 12v apart from the socket I should know about before starting repair? A fuse I should check somewhere? I'd like to know from you guy's experience.

This should work?
12v socket 12v socket

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2018, 10:58 PM

Both 12v sockets are on the same circuit, so if the back one works, then yes, you need to replace the socket. I wouldn't use that one, though. Go to a u-pull, and you can get the correct socket (with the little black door and no lighter) for slightly less money.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:03 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks for your reply! I will try to find that socket.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I seem to remember when I added additional 12v outlets onto my console that the main cigarette lighter and the 12v outlet on the center consoles rear were on different fuses. Been awhile, but those are my recollections.

Added two 12v outlets to the console passenger side. I pulled them from a junkyard car. Kept finding I needed more power outlets for radar detector, phone charging, GPS and such. Ended up using the consoles receptacle as I think it powered down when the ignition switch was off and the cigarette on stayed powered up with the ignition off.

See photo:

Attached Images
Old 03-11-2018, 09:24 PM

https://www.chevynationparts.net/v-2...center-console

If you want a brand new, OEM part, still cheaper than that one you found.