Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

07 SS oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Question 07 SS oil level?

HEY guys! long time, no post! (been a busy summer, but good!)
so...
first issue (thank the lord) with my 07 SS -- i THINK.

here's the simple version:
oil changed may 15th.
DIC reset.
just now... car turned on, DIC says "engine oil low - add oil" - ??? the life of the oil still reads 76%!... take it in real fast- yup! its low! and... DRY underneath (got it up on the lift)...

ever happen to any last gen SS owners? to be safe... im takin her to the dealer on saturday. all else is well......

hope this is EVEN the right place for this post!
cheers!

Vince

Old 07-21-2009, 06:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hmmm....well I know it has to be pretty damn low for the light to come on. Those lights do not come on over one quart of oil, it had to be damn low I know that...

And if its DRY under the car then...i'd say your buring it, which a new car should not be burning that much oil....something sounds wrong...are you positive the ol change place used the right oil. I don't really know if it would be that big of a deal, but who knows maybe it is, did they by chance put in the 5w-20 oil that newer Ford and Chrylsers take? If this is a big deal, then maybe thats why its burning it. Honestly don't see that being a huge problem though. You might have problems...If under warrenty still, take it in ASAP and get it checked and explain that it is using large amounts of oil.

My 06 3.5L V6 Monte with almost 77,000 miles burns NO oil. I never have to top off between changes, and my oil level is always FULL when I change it!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
Hmmm....well I know it has to be pretty damn low for the light to come on. Those lights do not come on over one quart of oil, it had to be damn low I know that...

And if its DRY under the car then...i'd say your buring it, which a new car should not be burning that much oil....something sounds wrong...are you positive the ol change place used the right oil. I don't really know if it would be that big of a deal, but who knows maybe it is, did they by chance put in the 5w-20 oil that newer Ford and Chrylsers take? If this is a big deal, then maybe thats why its burning it. Honestly don't see that being a huge problem though. You might have problems...If under warrenty still, take it in ASAP and get it checked and explain that it is using large amounts of oil.

My 06 3.5L V6 Monte with almost 77,000 miles burns NO oil. I never have to top off between changes, and my oil level is always FULL when I change it!
yeah, takin to the dealer on saturday. its ok for now... and... i MAY have found an official tech bulletin (from GM) that could be of use about this... ill letcha know. hope its just a fluke issue and not a biggie. she's my baby!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

How many quarts were used. I know mine took a little over 6.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
How many quarts were used. I know mine took a little over 6.
That was my first thought, maybe they just did a standard 5-5.5 quart change, and it took a couple of months to burn a little off and set that light?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
That was my first thought, maybe they just did a standard 5-5.5 quart change, and it took a couple of months to burn a little off and set that light?

Good thought guys...did not think of that...but you may be on to something. I remeber the owners manual says: 3.5L/3.9L V6 with filter= 4 Quarts. 5.3L with filter= 6quarts.....

Maybe the guys at the oil change shop just looked at some book or computer and put in Monte Carlo not thinking there was a difference, and only put 4 quarts in like the 06-07 V6's take...

Or like you said just went with the standard 5.

But this is why nobody touches my oil...secondly, I would not be going back to any oil change place that did not check the oil after filling it...just to be sure it was full. (that is if this was the problem).

Old 07-22-2009, 10:34 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
Good thought guys...did not think of that...but you may be on to something. I remeber the owners manual says: 3.5L/3.9L V6 with filter= 4 Quarts. 5.3L with filter= 6quarts......
But if they did a 4 quart change, I think the light would come on MUCH faster than it did. It took nearly 2 months.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Default ya....

yah... it takes up to 6.
my guys are reallll good, but the kid who did the last change wasnt one of my regulars.
even my tech said that... perhaps he didnt put all 6 in.

lets hope.
i get very antsy when it comes to my baby!
u guys all rock, too!!!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 11:07 AM

15 Year Member

Time to check your dipstick after every oil change.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 PM

i've never had to top off my oil between changes... I'm at 74,XXX miles, and I go 5-6000 miles between changes with Mobil 1.... don't burn a drop...

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 07-22-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 07 SS oil level?