Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): 07 Ran for about 4 days after engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Default 07 Ran for about 4 days after engine swap.

I have an 07 LS with the 3.5L engine. We did an engine swap, no upgrades. The car started and ran fine for about 4 days. Then it stalled 4 times while my son was driving. I suspect this is really due to the ignition recall, he has a few keys on his key chain. Went to take it for a test drive, without all the extra weight. Car started up fine we went to turn around and as soon as it was out in reverse it stalled. Would not start, starter would not even click. Outside temp is about 12 degrees at the time. So I try tapping the starter, nothing. We jump it and after about 15 minutes of trying it starts. Put it in reverse and it stalls. another 15 or more minutes of trying and it starts again. We had to jump it a swell as tap on starter.

A little background on the car. The engine went about May after a starter, battery, and idler pulley replacement then the car sat until End of December, beginning of January. During that time the battery died, at least twice. The car would start and run, just was loud knocking noise. End of December beginning of January is when we did the engine swap.

I put a new battery in it last night after reading similar sounding issues, thinking that the battery sat for too long combined with the cold temps just killed it.

So now the car has a new starter, another new battery, and newish engine.

After installing the new battery the car started up and idled right away. I let it idle for a few minutes and shut it off and restarted it. No problems did this about 5 times. I even put it in gear with no issues. Then it happens...I try the factory remote start...all the symptoms of not starting, no clicking from starter nothing but the lights turning off when I try to start. For giggles I try to start in neutral...it starts and idles as soon as I put it in any gear it dies. And after trying several times in park and neutral I decide to try something so I go to the DIC and see if there is an option for the remote start i cycle thru and and see there is one and I turn off that capability. The car starts, but dies as soon as it's put in gear. I try and cycle thru the DIC again to see if my change saved and I get that it is only available while in park. So I check and I am definitely in park.

I was going to do the security relearn thing, but the security light initially was going off after only a few seconds. At some point the DIC gave a message about servicing the theft deterrent system, that message was intermittent though. Also the recall has not yet been done.

Sorry for the long post, but any ideas?

Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 PM

see if it gives you the option to disable the security anti-theft system all together in the dic. if it does turn the security system off and the remote start system. see if the car operates normally after that.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You might want to verify all your ground cables and wires are clean and tight. Especially the ones that are attached to the stud bolt that joins the engine and transmission above the starter. Also check to be sure the engine and transmission harness connectors are tight and locked.

Last edited by plumbob; 01-15-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:39 PM

Looked at car today, figured out it was a ground wire. Found it by accident though. The one by the starter. I was feeling around for maybe a better spot to put a different ground wire and noticed some clicking noises when I bumped the wire by the starter. Further investigation revealed that I did not tighten that bolt at all! (insert extreme embarrassment here)

Tightened that thing up and no issues!

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congratulations

Glad it was an easy fix.

It happens to the best of us.