Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: 07 motor problems? Simple or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Default 07 motor problems? Simple or not?

Hi I have a 07 Monte Carlo SS with the 5.3 stock motor right now. When I bought the car everything seemed fine but a few weeks later everything seemed to go wrong. N no I haven't ragged on it. But the displacement stopped working and there seems to be a bad lifter tick, I'm thinking it's a collapsed lifter. Would you guys suggest tearing it apart n fixing what's wrong or getting a new motor? Also how is the displacement fixed seems like it would be electronically controlled? If I were to upgrade the motor like cold air intake, headers, new cams? What's the best route. Thanks in advanced Jake

Old 12-10-2014, 07:33 AM

Hi `Jake & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.

Sorry to read that you are having some issues with your Monte S.S.

How many miles on your Monte ? How many owners ?

Check back on your thread to see what our member's that may have had the same type of problems/issues with their 06/07 V8. Also, check out our search engine in the top center of each MCF page for topic problems.

Wish you good luck on resolving your Monte problems.
Good Luck

Old 12-10-2014, 07:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The lifter tick you are hearing is the DOD lifter, it is a very very common thing in the LS4 motor no need to tear apart the motor for it

Old 12-10-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mozdzen23
Hi I have a 07 Monte Carlo SS with the 5.3 stock motor right now. When I bought the car everything seemed fine but a few weeks later everything seemed to go wrong. N no I haven't ragged on it. But the displacement stopped working and there seems to be a bad lifter tick,Do you have a check engine light on? Do you have a code reader? I'm thinking it's a collapsed lifter. This is a possibility... has happened to many. Would you guys suggest tearing it apart n fixing what's wrong or getting a new motor? There are more than 20 reasons the DoD/AFM has stopped working it is a very sophisticated system.Also how is the displacement fixed seems like it would be electronically controlled? It is electronic, hydraulic, mechanical so first we need to find out the obvious as in CODES in the computer, history of the car example mileage, maintenance done, oil used between changes and type you are using, oil filter you are using and it`s part number. (a lot of times people/places use one filter and the 06 and 07 LS4 use different filters. If I were to upgrade the motor like cold air intake, headers, new cams? What's the best route. Thanks in advanced Jake

For your last question/ questions let`s see if the problem can be found... then go forward from there. One other question how capable are you at fixing, repairing/ overhauling.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Default Awesome

Thanks for the quick reply guys. My car has 160,000 on it. N I'm capable of doing an overhaul, I just got done putting new heads n redoing the motor in my beretta GT. But at this current time I'm not looking to sink a whole lot of cash into it yet. Like to fix the tick n get it running right again n work on it during summer.

Not to sure what the DOD lifter is if you could be more specific that would be great.

The displacement is electronical then or?

Old 12-10-2014, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the quick reply guys. My car has 160,000 on it. N I'm capable of doing an overhaul, I just got done putting new heads n redoing the motor in my beretta GT. But at this current time I'm not looking to sink a whole lot of cash into it yet. Like to fix the tick n get it running right again n work on it during summer.

Not to sure what the DOD lifter is if you could be more specific that would be great.
A DoD lifter is a special 2 stage camshaft/ valve lifter used for the (Displacement on Demand) DoD cylinders only. There are 8 of these lifters in your engine and 8 regular roller lifters. Your engine is a 07 so your system is called AFM (Active Fuel Management)

The displacement is electronical then or?
I answered this above basically, please re-read my above post.
Does your car still remote start?

Old 12-10-2014, 10:42 AM

Ok so if I get into where the lifters are, how do I tell which ones need to be replaced? N no it does not currently work another question of mine

Old 12-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Ok so if I get into where the lifters are, how do I tell which ones need to be replaced? N no it does not currently work another question of mine

So your remote start does not work, that means that your computer/computers are holding codes... WHAT are THESE CODES?

I will ask do you have a scanner?

Old 12-10-2014, 10:50 AM

Nope I don't but I can take it to autozone after work n get it read.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:58 AM

Perfect, do that and list all the codes found please. Another question does the thought to be lifter noise get quieter as the engine gets warm?

Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: 07 motor problems? Simple or not?