Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

'06 Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Default '06 Transmission problems

Hi everyone, new here, and wondering if anyone has had/knows of problems with the transmission on the '06 SS. Mine is 2 weeks shy of 2 years old, but has 47k miles and is therefore past warranty, and starting a few weeks ago the transmission is in horrible shape and 2 mechanics (1 chevy dealer, 1 non) have been unable to tell me what is wrong.

It started with rough shifts/shuddering when at light acceleration (especially on inclines), and now is much worse, to the point where when i first start the car in the morning (in NY, it is cold), it will not go in reverse or drive, and the only way I can get up my inclined driveway is in 1st. The transmission slips badly for at least a couple of minutes until the car warms up, and then it is better but continues to shudder intermittently when accelerating.

Both places I took it say they can't even duplicate the issue! (but it does it constantly, so i really fail to understand). One wanted to drop the transmission pan and look for metal, saying if there was metal there I'd need a whole new tranny, which is completely absurd to me on a <2 yr old car.

Anyone else have any issues with the '06 like this?

Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Default RE: '06 Transmission problems

welcome to the forum and im sry to hear bout ur problems...use our search engine to c if neone else has had a problem similar...wish i could help u out

Old 01-05-2008, 03:23 PM

Change the fluid and filter, If you find junk in the pan when you change the filter could be bigger problems.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:51 PM

Wow. Just thought i'd update this to say that I took the car to the dealership i bought it from, and it needs A WHOLE NEW TRANSMISSION. WTH. I am really not too pleased with this given it's age.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Bob
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've had the same problem on my 2000 chevy van with 18,000 miles. does the check engine light come on? It could be the computer control that sits inside the trans.If you keep on driving the car you will mess the trans up. I had to pull out very,very slow from a stop cause the trans would shift so hard,if your car is shifting like this my money is on the computer control.your looking at about $250.00 for the part.Hope this helps.The dealership should find a code. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:42 PM

No check engine light at any time. 2 dealerships and 1 outside mechanic all found no code. The new tranny is being put in as we speak

Old 01-18-2008, 01:29 AM

You want a good solution? Force it!

A 48000 mile transmission going bad is ridiculous. Keep copies of the invoices and everything, and DEFINITELY get the old part. Tell them right now you aren't paying a core charge either, because they didn't make you agree on it from the beginning.

Take it to the MEDIA... You might get doors slammed in ur face, but eventually someone will pick up on this stuff.... Post it on every forum you can sign up for. I myself got a 100k mile warranty because I got the recently offered GM certified used warranty. This should be a BIG story as GM is still making the V8 SS Impala which has the EXACT same transmission, on a HEAVIER body!!

Start a blog, get some buddies to link to it on their blogs... It's the information age, and such power has never been in the hands of a blue collar American.

Call the GM number daily, get upset, ask for supervisors, email them, send them letters. A simple assault (don't bevulgar, or crass, just upset andwant answers!) on their employees can take awhile, but eventually it multliplies and reaches the administration.

Don't get me wrong, Mistakes happen, lemons happen... Don't let failure to act on the issue leave you lighter in the pocketbook.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:35 AM

Man this is not good. Did they give you a reason why they are changing the trans, like the bands are smoked or any indication of what the root cause is? I have an 06 ss myself, I hope you get this resolved asap.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:07 PM

It's ready to be picked up tomorrow, so when I get it I will ask exactly what went wrong with it so everyone can know.

They are charging me $400, GM picked up the rest even though it's past warranty. And i think the dealership hooked me up a bit since i've bought multiple cars there.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: idalis

It's ready to be picked up tomorrow, so when I get it I will ask exactly what went wrong with it so everyone can know.

They are charging me $400, GM picked up the rest even though it's past warranty. And i think the dealership hooked me up a bit since i've bought multiple cars there.
Nice ending to an almostdissastrous scenario.

Quick Reply: '06 Transmission problems