Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

06 SS high engine temp/ over heating

Old 05-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Default 06 SS high engine temp/ over heating

Hey,

I picked up an 06 SS from a local chevy dealer. last night, I had a problem with the engine overheating. While I was driving in the city, I noticed the temp gauge was almost in the red. The display was stated " high engine temperature, A/C is OFF" I pulled the car over immediatly, and shut her down.

I popped the hood and looked for any leaks or any smoking guns. I did not see anything. I let the car cool for about an hour, started her back up and drove home( aprox 2 miles). During the ride home, the temp did not go above the normal dead center spot on the gauge. The car is parked and awaiting a trip to the local chevy dealer where I had purchased the car.

Has anyone experianced this on the 5.3?

Outside air temp was about 73*F, and the car was moving in moderate traffic, 3 passangers in the car, and I was not driving her hard at all.

Thanks
Tom

Old 05-08-2011, 08:41 PM

Do these have the same plastic intake gaskets the 6th gen have? Sounds like what my '03 did when I first got it????

Mike

Old 05-09-2011, 07:16 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have had this problem before. I believe the culprit is the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. When this happened to me, I IMMEDIATELY pulled to the side of the road. When I popped the hood, it wasn't excessively hot and there was no indication of any mechanical malfunctions. I drove it home in 'limp mode' and hooked my scanner to it so I could reset the codes. The temp. immediately dropped down to normal operating range and it came out of 'limp mode'. I just assumed that there was a glitch in the ECU programming from Cartuning. This has happened to me a couple of times now and each time I reset the code, it immediately returned to normal operation. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:33 PM

My car never went into limp mode, it never got all the way to into the red, it was one needle width away from it when I shut it down. I never got an engine light either. The dealer had the car for 2 days, they looked at the temp sensor, fans, relays coolant, and test drove the car 4 different time accumulating over 60 miles. Not one problem. I picked the car up, I have not had a high temp again. It is running normal, with no issues.

All the mechanic can bring it back if it happens again.

Tom

Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 AM

i had the same thing this winter,same message, my thermostat went bad,had a 80thermo installed and changed the fluids,even installed 3 new auto meter gauges to keep it all in check,,was scary wen it happend i was on the highway with lots of cars around me at high speed and me in neutral not knowing what was going on..now my temps are way cooler then before.
Dude

Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM

there is a flaw in the water pump for the v6 and the ls4 there has been some i noticed doing the same. also others running perfectly finei would sugest is flushing the system first just to see if it would do it again. if it did it would be one of two things the t-stat or the water pump. also check the belt to see if there is any wiered tred imprents

Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 AM

Don't know about the LS4, but I know that I've had to replace my thermostat. It was an off and on problem. Turns out there's some rubber gasket that can get skewed then it'll block your thermostat, either keeping it open or closed all the time.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:41 AM

I have a similar problem in a used 06 I just purchased yesterday. It's got the 3.5 and while it didn't happen during the test drive (of course it wouldn't right?) this morning I got the message "engine hot AC off" and noticed my temp gage was on "C". I got the car home as quickly as I could. No owners manual in the car to look up what that means. There are a few other issues with the car that have me leaning toward taking it back. Any help would be appreciated. BTW - the car has 130K on the clock and I bought it to use for an 80 mile daily commute.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:23 PM

Okay, pulled the positive cable for about 10 minutes and reseated. The temp gauge is working now and it stays halfway between cold and hot. I still have the low washer fluid warning when I initially start up but the fluid is topped off..is there a sensor that needs replaced? Thanks for any help.