Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

06 SS on the fritz......AGAIN, surprise surprise

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Default 06 SS on the fritz......AGAIN, surprise surprise

Just looking for anyone who may be able to help me sort this out, as of now its being held at a safe lot because i wont be getting anything done until monday or tuesday, because the chevy dealership (it is under the powertrain warranty) "wont take anything in in the weekend" those poor overworked babies.

i parked at the local walmart today to go grab some things and it was fine when i parked, came back out and started it up just fine and EVERYTHING thats electronicaly controlled or computer assisted was showing error messages for servicing, traction control, battery charging system, airbag, tire monitor service, the list goes on, the whole computer is just totally shot it seems like. The 3500 rpm rev limiter is gone, the 1st and 2nd gears (electricaly assited) are gone so the car has to start rolling in 3rd, it wont tell you what gear your in anyway the cluster is malfunctioning. and the fun part is when you turn it off and take the key out, it continues to run until it just starves itself and chokes out. had a buddy from my club who is a mechanic come out to look at it on his break and we worked with it for about an hour, we pulled and checked all the fuses, unhooked the battery for a good 30 minutes, reset the ECM and everything else you could think of. Anyone got any good ideas as to what this may be? I did drive through hellacious storm last night like you wouldnt believe, we had tornados just a few miles from my house, all i can figure is something may have gotten wet, not a very good estimate i know but im just trying to think.

Getting a little to frustrated with my baby, ever since november when i got her she has left me stranded on 3 diffrent occasions and been towed 4 times, ridicoulous, shes been the funnest, fastest, most unreliable car ive ever owned, and unfourtanetly when she gets out of the the shop she may not be coming home with me. Sorry for the long post but i needed to vent lol.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Let's hope that huge storm didn't fry a part of your PCM.

If you still have your stock airbox, I would put that on so they don't blame the open cone

Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear man...That really sucks. Sounds like you gotta a bad one. From what I've heard, they are really reliable, the biggest weak point in the SS's is the tranny.

As for your problem, sounds like the ECM is fried. I would say thats probably what the dealer will find wrong with it, they will replace the ECM, and it will be good to go again. Good Luck!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Sounds crazy. I agree with the others here though.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Damn man, sorry to hear your luck with the Monte. I have no help for you but wanted to wish you the best with it going forward.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the help everyone! pretty much best i can figure as well.
Im sure theyll try to BS me into believing it was the open cone lol, i wish it would have broke down somewhere i could have replaced it with the stock air box but oh well i suppose. I'll know more on monday when the dealership takes it in, im monte carlo-less this weekend :c

Old 06-26-2010, 09:18 AM

What happened the other times that left you stranded?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:42 PM

lol sorry it took me forever to get back to ya Luse4, mostly power steering issues but she has flat-out died on me once.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cyst3m
mostly power steering issues
I hope this was covered by the recall, or you got reimbursed for the costs?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Default c 1225

[got a tech question...what is the lf wheel sensor do and for?i keep gettin the 1225 code and the trac light goes on and abs light????

Quick Reply: 06 SS on the fritz......AGAIN, surprise surprise