Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

06 M/C,frt brg noise but not brg? help

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Default 06 M/C,frt brg noise but not brg? help

Hi all, first time posting to this forum but have read lots of great info. before.
I have an 06 Monte 3500, it has a bearing type noise from the right front area that starts up around 20mph, it gets louder with speed and sound changes with load. I ran the car in gear on jack stands and used a stethoscope and determined it was the right outer hub/bearing. Today I replaced it and there is NO difference. Using the stehoscope I can hear the noise right through the trans pan and am wondering if there is another bearing at the inner cv that I can replace (like in the side of the trans)? Or does someone have any other ideas or experience as to where this sound is coming from?
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:13 PM

conveter maybe or flywheel

Old 05-14-2010, 06:25 AM

Just after posting I decided since all the tools were out I should proceed with eliminating items so I replaced the left side wheel bearing/hub with the one I had just removed from the right-again no difference.
This car has Goodyears on front and Dunlops in rear, and they all look good and feels fine on the road, but I rotated front to rear, and the noise is till there, but it is different now like it is more from the center of the front rather from the right side and not as much change when loading/turning but still there and still sounds like coming from front.
Is noise from the convertor common?
My dad has a Bonneville with 3800 and says there is some rod in the starter casing with a spring on the end which can fail and cause the rod to touch the flywheel blah blah blah. ( I have no idea wht he is talking about)

Last edited by uber124; 05-14-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Default Did you figure this out?

Originally Posted by uber124
Just after posting I decided since all the tools were out I should proceed with eliminating items so I replaced the left side wheel bearing/hub with the one I had just removed from the right-again no difference.
This car has Goodyears on front and Dunlops in rear, and they all look good and feels fine on the road, but I rotated front to rear, and the noise is till there, but it is different now like it is more from the center of the front rather from the right side and not as much change when loading/turning but still there and still sounds like coming from front.
Is noise from the convertor common?
My dad has a Bonneville with 3800 and says there is some rod in the starter casing with a spring on the end which can fail and cause the rod to touch the flywheel blah blah blah. ( I have no idea wht he is talking about)
Was this actually the starter? I am having a similar issue and a mechanic with Monte experience said it was the starter too. Please let me know. I don't want to pay for hub bearings etc if it's the starter and vice versa.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:43 AM

This may sound silly but have you checked the belt tensioner? I have thought it was other things before and found it to be this. Put a flat head screwdriver on any of some of the accessories on the serpentine and see if you can hear a bad bearing in any of them.