Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

06 doors rattling

Old 09-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Question 06 doors rattling

first off im new here
i have an 06 ltz.... im thinkinh about putting my old subwoofers in.
but my door panels are so noisy with the stock speakers with attached amp. they rattle just driving in silence.
is there a quick fix or am i stuck with noisy door panels?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

my drivers door has a small rattle too. it is hard to tell what it is rattling you would have to take the door panel off and drive it around to figure out what it is.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

my whole car rattles lol but i live on a rough crappy gravel road, but it really dosnt get much worse with subs bout the only thing that rattles more is my dash

Old 10-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

It's the plastic clips that hold the energy absorbing foam to the door's inner sheet metal. More so the clips on the foam block that sits further inside the door. They're not what you would call the tightest fit to the sheet metal. This also makes the doors sound "clangy" when shut. I took care of mine earlier this year since it got worse when I installed my sub.

Take the door panels off and peel back the clear weatherproof sheething. Then take the first foam block out and you'll see what I'm talking about. If you turn up the radio loud enough (with good bass) and put pressure on the foam block, the rattling goes away. At least it did for me. I took insulating foam tape and put it in all the plastic clips on both foam blocks, as well as anywhere on the foam blocks themselves that might have contact with sheet metal, then reinstalled everything. The foam tape acts as a cushion against the metal and stops the rattling. The door sounds more solid when shut as well. Hope this helps you guys, and anyone else with the same issue!

Old 10-21-2011, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member

Actually, to give an idea of what I'm talking about, here's a few pictures from when I took mine apart...

Old 11-17-2011, 08:30 PM

what did you use to re-attach the plastic sheet?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 PM

The material used to hold it on originally should still have enough adhesion to reuse. I had an 07 with a door rattle and found one of the clips holding one of the rods was not snapped together. It was a very intermittent problem that would drive you crazy. The speaker would make this thing ring and it sounded like a bad speaker.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by brewcitymc
what did you use to re-attach the plastic sheet?
The original sealant wasn't tacky enough to reuse so I removed it from the portion of the plastic that I pulled back. The parts manager at a Chevrolet dealership gave me a box of 3M Strip Calk they had sitting around, at no charge. It's waterproof and won't harden or shrink. Applies and seals good, does the job.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
It's the plastic clips that hold the energy absorbing foam to the door's inner sheet metal. More so the clips on the foam block that sits further inside the door. They're not what you would call the tightest fit to the sheet metal. This also makes the doors sound "clangy" when shut. I took care of mine earlier this year since it got worse when I installed my sub.

Take the door panels off and peel back the clear weatherproof sheething. Then take the first foam block out and you'll see what I'm talking about. If you turn up the radio loud enough (with good bass) and put pressure on the foam block, the rattling goes away. At least it did for me. I took insulating foam tape and put it in all the plastic clips on both foam blocks, as well as anywhere on the foam blocks themselves that might have contact with sheet metal, then reinstalled everything. The foam tape acts as a cushion against the metal and stops the rattling. The door sounds more solid when shut as well. Hope this helps you guys, and anyone else with the same issue!

i pulled my driver side door panel off today (the one that was rattling the worst) i applied pressure to the block and it did take the rattle away. i didn't pull the weather shield off yet to do your fix with the foam tape on plastic clips. I plan on doing that and also putting dynamat on the door. I have a bulk pack on the way.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 PM

The first foam insulator is glued on the corners as you can see from 06mistreSS pictures. I did not remove these because I did not want to break anything and have the potential for creating some other problem in the process.

My approach to this problem was to create a piece of material to push the block tight to the door. I took dynamat and cut it into small squares stacked together. I put weatherstripping on one side.

I then took this and shoved it between the foam block and the door skin.

These pictures were taken thru the speaker opening. Since I could only reach the block from one side I only put these pieces here. There is a very small noise left on the driver side. The passenger didn't have any to begin with. All things said I would say it is a great improvement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 doors rattling