Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 SS SC not starting....HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Exclamation 04 SS SC not starting....HELP!!!!

Hey folks I am having a problem here with my 04 super charged Monte.
It wont start! I drove it last on wednesday before Thanksgiving. I was driving home and put gas in it at a station I never used before because I was totally dry in the tank, this station was rather ran down and old.
I finished my drive home with no issues, and parked it all four Thanksgiving holiday days. On Monday morning I went to start it up to go to work and it wouldn't start, I kept trying untill the battery ran down, it would never even catch or sputter. it seams like it is not getting gas to the cylinders. I got in here tonight and read about the passlock system not letting a car start but it is not flashing any security warnings, however when I just turn the key to the on position and when all the idiot lights go out the only one left on is the check engine light.
Is there something I am over looking here, is there some steps I can take to narrow it down to the main issue?
Please help, thanks in advance.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:48 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How long did you run with the tank dry and do you commonly drive with less then 1/4 of a tank. You could very well have burned out the fuel pump.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
How long did you run with the tank dry and do you commonly drive with less then 1/4 of a tank. You could very well have burned out the fuel pump.
First off thanks for your reply I sure appreciate it, I usually run the tank down to just before thefuel light comes on, this time I had an eight of a tank according to the level gauge but I figured I had enough for my eighteen mile trip home, but when I got halfway home I realised that it was going down fast and the light came on about three miles into it, so about five miles from home I stopped and put about ten gallons in.
I too am leaning towards the fuel pump, I cannot hear it hum when I put it to run position( I though you could hear it running if it was working, I might be wrong )
the car has 110k miles on it and when my Avalanche got to that many miles it too had the pump go out on it.
Also I noticed sometimes in the past few weeks an occasional hesitation under acceleration, and some mornings it would stall when starting up but would usually restart just fine.
is the fuel pump in these things hard to replace as a DYI?
It has been raining hard all day and thus making it darn near impossible to do anything on the car, the next few days will be sunny so I will get a chance to check it out. I have however tried all the Passlock reset suggestions that I read on here but I dont think it is a passlock issue.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Before you replace it have someone with a scanner check, they will be able to tell if it is getting fuel or not.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 PM

Before you replace it have someone with a scanner check, they will be able to tell if it is getting fuel or not.
well I have no means of acquiring someone with a scanner, is there another way I can verify whether or not it is getting fuel?
Is there a fuse for the fuel pump? if so where can I find it?

Last edited by Xx-007-xX; 11-28-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:16 PM

I am thinking that it could be a bad or dirty maf.

As for getting fuel, try to start it afew times then pull out the number one spark plug and see if it smells like gas. If it does then it is getting fuel and your problem would be else where. If you are not getting fuel you can take a rubber mallet and bang on the side of the gas tank....if you can get to it where the fuel pump is and if it starts running after that then it is the fuel pump. I hope this helps.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Commando
I am thinking that it could be a bad or dirty maf.

As for getting fuel, try to start it afew times then pull out the number one spark plug and see if it smells like gas. If it does then it is getting fuel and your problem would be else where. If you are not getting fuel you can take a rubber mallet and bang on the side of the gas tank....if you can get to it where the fuel pump is and if it starts running after that then it is the fuel pump. I hope this helps.
if it is a dirty MAF where do I locate it and is it something a DIY person like me can replace?
remember .....I cannot hear any noise coming from the tank or rear of the car like I should here if the pump is pumping, thank you for your reply

Last edited by Xx-007-xX; 11-28-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:39 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

The Maf is VERY easy to replace, but they arent the cheapest for trial and error kind of replacement. Unplug it and try to start it.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 PM

The Maf is VERY easy to replace, but they arent the cheapest for trial and error kind of replacement. Unplug it and try to start it.
where is it located?

Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 PM

well I located it and unplugged it and tried to start it, it still wont even catch or even sputter, it is like it is getting absolutely nothing when it comes to fuel

Quick Reply: 04 SS SC not starting....HELP!!!!