Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 Monte Carlo Whistle

Old 09-22-2015, 07:23 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default 04 Monte Carlo Whistle

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and was wondering if you give me suggestions as to what the whistle noise my car is making could be.

Its a more high pitched whistle. I can hear it when I'm going 25 though my neighborhood with the radio off and the windows down. And it gets louder with engine rpm. Im not sure if it whistles a little bit when in park because of all the cricket things right now near me. Also after I rev the engine and the car changes gears to second the car whistles really loud almost like a bov.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Blactoutmonte
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and was wondering if you give me suggestions as to what the whistle noise my car is making could be.

Its a more high pitched whistle. I can hear it when I'm going 25 though my neighborhood with the radio off and the windows down. And it gets louder with engine rpm. Im not sure if it whistles a little bit when in park because of all the cricket things right now near me. Also after I rev the engine and the car changes gears to second the car whistles really loud almost like a bov.
Hello and Welcome to the forum. So it does not sound like a whine like an alternator would make when it's going bad?

Old 09-23-2015, 08:36 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Hello and Welcome to the forum. So it does not sound like a whine like an alternator would make when it's going bad?
I don't think so. All the videos I have looked up of alternator noises do not sound like mine. They sound more whining and mine is more of a high pitched squeel or whistle I can't describe it right
While cruising at 40mph not on the gas, the sound isn't there. But if I press on the gas slightly its apparent and gets louder til I can't hear it over the engine.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Put the car in park, pop the hood, and manually move the TB blade. When your TB Gasket goes bad, it can whistle like you are describing.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:54 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I took the Monte to the mechanic for them to check it over and they said they couldn't even hear the whistle. I asked them if they check the throttle body and the cadalytic converter and he said they were fine.

I'm gonna go with what Chibi said and replace the throttle body gasket tomorrow and see if that does the trick. It seems most likely. What brand gaskets do you guys use and recommend?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:49 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

This may not be the same problem as yours. But I had a slight whistle in my 04 also. Like yours, it got higher pitch the higher the RPM's got. I noticed it was coming from my radio speakers. Even with the radio turned off.

I unplugged the connectors from the stereo amp (in the trunk, between the two rear speakers), and plugged them back in. I did this a couple times. And the noise is now gone. I attributed it to oxidation on the connections. Unplugging and plugging back in scrapes off some of that oxidation, and makes a better connection.

Not sure this is the same sound you're talking about. But thought I'd throw that out there.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:52 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
This may not be the same problem as yours. But I had a slight whistle in my 04 also. Like yours, it got higher pitch the higher the RPM's got. I noticed it was coming from my radio speakers. Even with the radio turned off.

I unplugged the connectors from the stereo amp (in the trunk, between the two rear speakers), and plugged them back in. I did this a couple times. And the noise is now gone. I attributed it to oxidation on the connections. Unplugging and plugging back in scrapes off some of that oxidation, and makes a better connection.

Not sure this is the same sound you're talking about. But thought I'd throw that out there.
I tried that and the connections looked fined and nothing changed. I changed the throttle body gasket and cleaned the throttlebody while i was at it cause it was dirty anyway. The noise is still there. Its so high pitched that old people can't even hear it so the mechanic I take it to can't hear it

There's several things I think it could be. The tensioner pulley, intake manifold leak, but I don't know how to check for sure. If someone could help me pinpoint this sounds, any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Blactoutmonte; 09-24-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:37 AM

Blacktoutmonte: Please post back if changing that gasket made the sound go away. I have an '04 Monte and have developed the same type of a sound. It is only when I am giving it gas.

Thanks.
Donna

Old 09-28-2015, 06:52 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DonnaAnd
Blacktoutmonte: Please post back if changing that gasket made the sound go away. I have an '04 Monte and have developed the same type of a sound. It is only when I am giving it gas.

Thanks.
Donna
I changed the throttle body gasket and the sound remains. Same thing here. Its too high pitched for older folks to hear so my mechanic can't hear it. Please let me know if you take it in and they find out what it is.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

UPDATE:: 2 of my friends looked at it and threw their opinion it could either be the alternator bearing going bad or the serpentine belt or the serpentine belt tensioner.

Taking this advice into consideration i pulled my serpentine belt off and examined the pulleys. The tensioner pulley looked worn and so did the belt. I spun the alternator bearing and heard a slight high pitched squeak as ot turned. As a measure of preventative maintenance and attempt to rid of the annoying sound haunting my car,i replaced the tensioner assembly,the serpentine belt, and the alternator. At first I thought the whistle was gone when I started her up, but after taking a test drive, I can still hear it.

Last edited by Blactoutmonte; 10-08-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Search this Thread