Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 monte carlo ss s/c problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ok i will go up and check it out probably tonite or tomorrow since i live like 30 miles away from my mom and dads house. does everyone think its the wheel bearings going bad so i can tell my fiance to replace them. if the lower intake manifold gasket is going why would it leak on the exhaust manifold on the front

Old 12-20-2010, 02:28 PM

if the lower intake manifold gasket is going why would it leak on the exhaust manifold on the front
It could be dripping down around the valve covers and falling onto the mani.

The real question would be, if the valve covers are leaking..how would the oil travel up underneath the blower? Usually puddles of liquid under the blower are a failed LIM, but like 03SS said it's usually coolant and not oil (your coolant should be dexcool if it's still the original coolant..which is orange and tends to get brown and gunky when it ages).

Old 12-20-2010, 05:33 PM

Hope you get everything fixed and back on the road.
Good luck!

Old 12-20-2010, 05:36 PM

I have the same car as you do and my intake manifold gaskets were leaking when I bought the car last year at 87,800 miles. My valve cover gaskets were also leaking and my mechanic replaced them as well. My mechanic showed me the old IMG and it was just starting to come apart so I caught it just in time. How many miles on your car? If you do the IMG, get the new and improved gaskets from the dealer. They also have some improved valve cover gaskets.

Can't help you on the other problem. Good luck.

Wayne

Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 PM

If you do the IMG, get the new and improved gaskets from the dealer
Good idea. I forgot to put this in my last post. If you do end up doing the LIM gaskets, GM has an updated aluminum version. They aren't nearly as prone to being destroyed by coolant as the old plastic version was. I'm not sure if they still sell the plastic ones as L67 gaskets (the alum ones came on the L32 but are identical aside from the material), so double check them before you buy them.

-Riggs.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 PM

it is wiered how fluid drips to be honest with you bambi88 i had a 85 bmw 318i that i put all new gaskets and new head gasket on. the rear main seal was leaking but it was drippung from the front but how the flow of the fluid it driped from the front not the back. it is a odd thing on how some fluids drip and flow some times when there is a leak. i do hope all will go well and get it figuered and all together.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 AM

ok thankz everyone. how hard is it to do the LIMG because i dont have any money to take it to a shop since my fiance lost his job money is very tight. his car is broke too. the car has 97634 miles on it my father says thats too much for an 04 but i think its fine for a car that has been daily driven since i had it with 23 miles on it

Old 12-21-2010, 07:38 PM

That engine will go at least double the mileage you have on it now. My ex-wife had a 98 Grand Prix GT with the regular 3800 and it had over 200,000 miles on it when she got rid of it last year.

I don't think its that hard of a job but I didn't do my own because it was winter and I didn't have any place to work on it that was warm.

I spent about $105 on parts at the dealer and that was buying the intake gaskets, the two plastic elbows, the valve cover gaskets, and the gasket under the supercharger. My mechanic charged me $343 to do the job with him providing the coolant and me providing the oil and filter. My car currently has about 92,000 miles on it and runs great.

Wayne

Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 AM

well my father told me last nite that he was taking it to a shop on monday

Old 12-23-2010, 04:50 PM

Awesome LIM gasket replacement video (33mins long) (when I went to check the link, the video was giving me a "missing plugin" error, but wouldn't automatically update the plugin it needed. I was able to right click to save the video, and then open it with windows media player though...it's worth having the vid on my hard drive for future reference anyways)

LIM gasket replacement thread (with pics)

Overall the LIM gasket isn't too bad on these cars, but if you've never done a project like that at all you might want to have someone around that knows their way around an engine.

-Riggs.

Quick Reply: 04 monte carlo ss s/c problems