Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 DTC Code ABS help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Default 04 DTC Code ABS help

I searched the forums and couldn't find a good solution so I thought I would ask;

My daughter has an 04 Monte and she is getting all the warning lights, ABS, traction control, etc. A few months ago this happened and when I hooked up the scanner it told me LF wheel speed sensor open. I found some bad wires near the harness, soldered, heat shrink, fixed the issue. I was a hero

Today she came home and told me she had the same issue again. I thought it would be another easy fix, but here's what the scanner is telling me for codes:

1216, Electronic Brake Control Module commanded pressure release too long
1223, LR wheel speed sensor input = 0
1224, RR wheel speed sensor input = 0
1225, LF excessive wheel speed sensor variation
1227, LR excessive wheel speed sensor variation
1228, RR excessive wheel speed sensor variation
1232, LF wheel speed sensor open or shorted
1234, LR wheel speed sensor open or shorted

I cleared all the codes after the last repair, so these all occurred since then. It's hard to believe that three of the four sensors would go bad simultaneously. Am I missing something? I just can't believe that replacing the three mentioned wheel bearings/sensors will solve the issue. Is there a common denominator that would cause this issue? I'm hoping someone will have an answer like, "Just replace part XYZ on the ABS system and it will clear everything up".

Any ideas?

THANKS!

Old 10-08-2017, 08:11 PM

If you have an ohm meter you can check each wheel sensor to confirm that's the issue. There's vids on YouTube for how to do that. I don't know about the 1216 code.