Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 window cables

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Default 01 window cables

Hello! Let me start by saying that I LOVE THIS FRIGGING CAR! This is my first Monte, and I fell in love. Took it for a test drive simply to shut a friend up. Wound up buying it when I came back with it.

230k miles, no leaks no smoke. The overdrive solenoid is gone, but I ain't in a hurry to open the trans case to replace it...

I already bypassed that dead factory amp and rewired the speakers/OnStar to work.

It does have some of the common Monte faults, including the signals and hazard thing, the traction control warning, ABS/brake lights etc.

I can deal with those later. It's hot here in the Blue Grass and that drivers window not rolling is not gonna fly. I took the panel off, and one of the cables isn't connected at one end, and the other is just piled in the bottom of the door. I have made custom cables before, not an issue, but HOW DOES IT RUN? I havent found a diagram to show how the cable runs. I would LOVE some help with that if possible. Also, how do I remove the regulator system, and not break the window?

Love this place, tons of valuable info and seemingly friendly, helpfum people.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The window regulator wasn't made to be serviceable. Just buy a new regulator. They can be bought with or without motor. One without a motor runs $40-$60.

Here's a "How to" video:

Old 09-10-2017, 11:17 AM

Eh. That blows. Seriously.

I can't do videos, I live in the sticks and download/buffer speed is painful. If I did manage to buffer or download the clip, it would eat the seat out if my bandwidth. With four kids in highschool, I try to use a minimum amount of our data package.

I need to find a guide that's comprised of still images and text. Thanks for your reply though, much appreciated. I understand the way the system is built, but, I had to try. I mean why not, right? What's the harm in attempting to repair a system like that? It kills me that the cable ends are still attached, the cables aren't broken, none of the mounting points I can see are broken, but still I will be made to replace instead of repair.

I was hoping that maybe I could just rerun the cables, as opposed to changing the entire regulator/motor or whatever. Suddenly I love this car just a tad less.....

Old 09-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I looked into the cable replacement a bit further and found that it's possible to reair the cables with a cable repair kit, but sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. Anytime somebody uses the word "Intricate" in the instructions I have to consider the value.

I just did a regulator last weekend and the whole job took about an hour.

After removing the panel and disconnecting the electrical connectors there's just (4) 10 mm bolts that hold in the regulator in, another (2) bolt the motor to the door, and another (2) that attach the regulator to the bottom of the window. Role the window all the way up. Wrap a couple long strips of masking or duct tape over the top of the door and stick it to the glass. This will hold the glass up while the regulator is removed. Seems like the tape wouldn't be enough to hold it, but window sash holds some of the weight too.

Remove the bolts described above and unplug the electrical connector into the regulator motor. Remove the regulator still bolted to the regulator, then remove the 3 or 4 bolts attaching the motor to the regulator. Move the motor to the new regulator and reverse process to reinstall.

For your interest, here's the article about cable replacement:
How to Fix a Window Regulator Cable | eBay

I haven't found anyplace that sells the cables separately.

Here are pictures of the regulator removed:
Power Window Regulator w/ Motor RH Right Passenger for Monte Carlo Grand Prix

Last edited by plumbob; 09-10-2017 at 03:47 PM.