Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: 01 Monte SS can't figure what's wrong,need some help PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:19 PM
Tma
Default 01 Monte SS can't figure what's wrong,need some help PLEASE!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or clues to the issues I'm having with my car.
It's an 01 Monte SS (3800) with 105,000, we've changed PCV valve, MAP sensor, 02 sensor bank 1, and EGR valve, it's still bogging down and stalling out when it gets to about 200degrees, I can get it started back up with 4-7 try's and have to keep the idle up manually, slip it in drive and go for a couple miles and it will do it all again, sometimes it bogs like it's going to stall then rev its self up to 3000-4000 RPM's for a bit then adjust its self to under 1000. It will jump when giving it gas sometimes also.
It's throwing an EGR code again. We removed it and cleaned the ports going to the Intake and put it back on (it's a new EGR) and it's still acting up and threw the EGR code again.
We just don't know what eles to do, anybody eles have this problem, and what did you do to fix it.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:03 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Have you also changed the mass airflow sensor?

Old 09-30-2016, 08:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

do you get any check codes ?

Old 09-30-2016, 09:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Maybe

Awhile back I was talking to a friend of mine about his Monte I believe it was an 01 also. Some issues were the same a you a describing and he indicated that a wire had come loose on the rear of the engine by the fire wall and was laying on the manifold and caused a short or something that mad the car stall. I will try to get a better story from him and repost it.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:26 PM
Tma

The code I get is EGR valve. We just put a new one unit 2 days ago, when she gets to 200 degrees she started acting up and the check engine came on, EGR code again.
The MAF has been cleaned 2 times now. I'm not getting the code for it tho.
Just the EGR code.
I'm completely baffeled by this.
Wish I still had my 64' Impala, She was EASY to figure out and work on. Lol.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:27 PM
Tma

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Awhile back I was talking to a friend of mine about his Monte I believe it was an 01 also. Some issues were the same a you a describing and he indicated that a wire had come loose on the rear of the engine by the fire wall and was laying on the manifold and caused a short or something that mad the car stall. I will try to get a better story from him and repost it.
Thank you for check deeper for me drivernumber3. Deeply appreceriate it!!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Tma
Thank you for check deeper for me drivernumber3. Deeply appreceriate it!!
Yep. The crank position wire that gores to the ignition module.
Should be a hold and purple wire.

Well this what he sent me? not sure what he means by a hold? Should be a purple wire. (see if there is one there.)
Correction: he texted me back.
Sorry damn auto correct. Gold and purple wire. It runs from the ignition module under the coil packs to the crank position sensor on the lower rear of the motor.
That makes better sense, anyway this wire came loose and fell on the manifold and was shorting out.

He was telling me the car just quit on him and after it would cool some it would go again and then when the wire fell just right it would stop or have very little power, and would just creep along. Anyway you might check into that hope it helps some?

I even found a photo of his Car that I attached, looked even more impressive when I was standing by it. lol

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
5084-R1-11-9.jpg (1.06 MB, 4 views)

Last edited by drivernumber3; 09-30-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:16 AM
Tma

Yep. The crank position wire that gores to the ignition module.
Should be a hold and purple wire.

Well this what he sent me? not sure what he means by a hold? Should be a purple wire. (see if there is one there.)
Correction: he texted me back.
Sorry damn auto correct. Gold and purple wire. It runs from the ignition module under the coil packs to the crank position sensor on the lower rear of the motor.
That makes better sense, anyway this wire came loose and fell on the manifold and was shorting out.

He was telling me the car just quit on him and after it would cool some it would go again and then when the wire fell just right it would stop or have very little power, and would just creep along. Anyway you might check into that hope it helps some?

I even found a photo of his Car that I attached, looked even more impressive when I was standing by it. lol
Thank you so much will be checking that wire. Nice Picture, what a great tribute to Dale Sr!!! Love NASCAR myself.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Tma
Thank you so much will be checking that wire. Nice Picture, what a great tribute to Dale Sr!!! Love NASCAR myself.
I think my friend was at a Hockey game when he texted me back, he and his wife were at the race in Chicago and they shared photo's from the pit area during the race, they were mingling with the drivers and crew the entire weekend. Not sure how they got that all done.
I have a shot with me by this car at a carshow back in 04 it think.
He had the Tribute airbrushed on both doors, back in the late 80's I spent a bit of time with the late Dale Sr. we were both shocked at the resemblance, I had no idea who he was. He said that to me too. " You have no idea who I am, do you?" Nope, just some bozo who looks like me! I replied, we both laughed.
Then he told me who he was and that was when I became a fan.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
748944896105_0_ALB (2).jpg (32.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Tma

I think my friend was at a Hockey game when he texted me back, he and his wife were at the race in Chicago and they shared photo's from the pit area during the race, they were mingling with the drivers and crew the entire weekend. Not sure how they got that all done.
I have a shot with me by this car at a carshow back in 04 it think.
He had the Tribute airbrushed on both doors, back in the late 80's I spent a bit of time with the late Dale Sr. we were both shocked at the resemblance, I had no idea who he was. He said that to me too. " You have no idea who I am, do you?" Nope, just some bozo who looks like me! I replied, we both laughed.
Then he told me who he was and that was when I became a fan.
Yes you do look like the late Dale Sr. My Mom met him in 2000. My cousin is friends with Theresa, and visits her often. June Bug is my driver. I'm a bit upset this year with him not racing because of his concussion but it's better to be safe than sorry.
We've changed the CSP today, BUT... hubby broke the Serpentine Tension Pulley bolt we've had to order a new attention Pulley assembly, just to get the bolt, grrrrrr. So won't know if this has been my issue all along. I'm praying it is.