Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): '00 Monte 3.8L SS shuts off randomly

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Default '00 Monte 3.8L SS shuts off randomly

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo thats shuts off randomly while driving and in idle. It started about two months ago with a misfire so i changed the plugs and wires with no luck then it turns out to be two of the coil packs were bad. After replacing those the car ran well again other than now the issue with it shutting off. Could it be that i need to change the 3rd coil? Another thing is i dont have a check engine light unless i get on a highway and give it full throttle or going uphill with a load on the engine, but it wont stay blinking long enough for me to get it checked. Im lost???

Old 03-04-2017, 08:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

I had something similar. I posted this up on another thread:

Originally Posted by 04MonteCarloLS
Something similar happened to me about a year ago. Here's what I found out.

I was driving home when the car started to act weird. I continued to drive and finally the engine cut out. I tried starting it 2 times with no luck. Thankfully, no one was on the road.

A buddy of mine came by and tried starting it, and it ended up starting. I drove it home. The next day, I tried to start it with no luck until the 3rd or 4th time. I decided to take it to a mechanic, who found the problem. It turned out to be the Fuel Pressure Regulator leaking gasoline and not keeping a vacuum seal. Once he replaced that, I never had the issue again.

Try seeing if that's the issue.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

if the light is blinking and then goes off it still should have a history or pending code stored in the ecm. You would need to get it checked with a scanner that will retrieve those codes. the ones advance and other parts use wont pull history or pending codes.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:34 AM

Ok so a week ago my car came back from the shop in a worst condition than it went in. The only time it ran fine was on the trip home. Now sometimes it wont start and when it does it will stall while driving and it would take about 5mins to get it started again. When i crank it, it will seem to start up but dies a second later, ive changed the map sensor but nothing else so far. The mechanic changed my ICM and one of my coil packs they didnt charge me labor because they couldnt find the problem. Another thing is when going uphill or any instance where i would have to give it a bit more throttle it does something weird like the car would lose all engine power and the rpm needle will start jumping around but it wont actually die until i come to a complete stop.

Last edited by Ced Reese; 04-04-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:35 PM

How many miles on the car and cat? Crank sensor perhaps on the stalling? What is everything you've been doing to the car so you say: plugs, wires, the ICM, all 3 coil packs, anything else? Has the car been scanned for stored codes?

Old 04-04-2017, 07:02 PM

Mine would stall.

I cleaned the MAF sensor and it would run fine for a few days then it would stall again.

I bought a new MAF and it doesn't stall anymore. Good luck!