Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

***DRL, Dimmer, running lamps, etc. Major Issue***

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Default ***DRL, Dimmer, running lamps, etc. Major Issue***

Alright I own a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS. I Have been experiencing many electrical problems and would like to see if anyone has any suggestions rather then bringing it to a dealership.

As of right now I do not have any Daytime running lights, Instrument Panel dimming lights or lights at all. When the night comes, the vehicle has no gauge cluster lighting, Radio lighting, Door lock button lighting and no front and rear running lights. Brake lights do illuminate as well as headlights and turn signals.

What I've done so far...

Replaced my headlight switch due to overheating in the Instrument Panel wire and Harness. (Grey Wire on the headlight switch harness/plug). Replaced all fuses and relays for Instrument panel and DRL. Checked the Voltage of the Grey Wire (Pink Plug Pin B11), from the BCM (Body Control Module) end. I get Zero Volts from that Grey Wire. Ambient light seems to be working fine. When it gets dark out the lights turn off and you see nothing. So seems to be nothing wrong with the ambient light.

Question that I have is could the BCM be reflashed so to speak with a scan tool or does this seem like a replacement BCM is needed. I just would rather see if I can get it reprogrammed rather then handed out way too much money for a new BCM. If anyone has a suggestion, feel free to post or add to the thread. Thanks for taking the time.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:00 PM

I believe that if you're going to re-flash the BCM you'll have to take it to the dealer. Has your check engine light turned on? Have Autozone read the codes from the car for you and then look them up for possible answers, but I still think your best bet is to have the BCM re-flash by the dealer, once you have determined that the BCM is in need of re-flashing and not in need of replacement. If you need another BCM, and don't want to dish out the dough for a new one from dealer, check Morad's. They have plenty of used parts for our cars, among them BCM's. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You will definitely need the stealership to do the BCM stuff. Or someone with a GM-Tech2 I believe. But ask first if that's something they will do before you buy the part and they say they won't do it for you that they need to buy a new one and do it.