Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Fuel hand and odometer problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:08 AM
Default Fuel hand and odometer problems

I have a 02 Monte ss, the first problem is my fuel hand floats and reads incorrect, I read on another forum you can just go off the digital reader by the sun roof but I've knoticed it also changes as my fuel hand floats. The second problem is my digital odometer doesn't work and I'd like to get an idea of how to fix it before I dog into unknown territories, the digital numbers aren't showing, maybe its just the lights I'm not sure.

Last edited by Tommy Cummings; 07-21-2017 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 07-31-2017, 07:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like it's not your stepper motor causing the weird fuel gauge readings if the same behavior is seen with the digital read out. Perhaps the fuel sending unit has been swapped with one that is more touchy? My 84 Camaro fuel gauge was crazy responsive to fuel sloshing in the tank.

As for the digital odometer, this is semi-common on Montes and Impalas. I've come across reading posts on other google searches about components on the board that need replaced and then it's as good as knew. Unfortunately I never book marked those links

Old 08-01-2017, 08:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would assume it's the float on the fuel pump giving inaccurate readings. Since the overhead also is affected