MCF Website Problems & Issues This area is for problems or suggestions relating specifically to the MCF site, not the car.

Chat room

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Chat room

hey, i belong to another forum for snowboarding and they have the regular forums and another just quick chat, chat room type thing where everyone can talk and where everyone can go for some quick help, i was just thinking, thatd be an awesome idea so people can ask there questions quickly there instead of posting alot of threads and also people can talk about whatever without having to wait forever for the response. just an idea tho =]

Old 09-13-2009, 02:43 AM

There is always the option of an IRC tacked onto the server for these forums, it could be setup quite easy... maybe even post a link to the IRC channel directly on this site somewhere...

im not sure how much code editing is allowed in this forum package though...

im all for an IRC channel or even a ventrillo server!!!!

I do enjoy real-time communication!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

The idea has been tossed around here for years. But a few things that have come up is first moderating it. People will sometimes post things that are not family friendly and we have kids that also see the board ( my son is always looking over my shoulder ). And 2nd, people will be so busy talking in the chatroom that no one is going to post cause all the questions will be asked there instead.

Trust me, i welcome a chatroom. But its been a while. Members have come and gone. Maybe things are a bit diff now.

you never know.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

IMO who needs a chat room we have the MCF MEMBER BLOG for that pourpous

Old 09-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

buds, like i said its real time talking, people will still post on the topics because most contain photos and alot of it has to do with pictures asking questions and just showing off what you have

Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM

my friend belongs to a ls1 website you know the 97-02 firebirds and trans am's and camaros and all that stuff they have forums just like ours but they also have a chat room and it has worked great for them its a blast i go on there everyone once in a while to see if my friend is on its fun i will post a link soon to their website(only if thats ok though so let me know if thats alright, no promoting their website intended just to show u guys what the chat is like)

Old 09-14-2009, 06:05 PM

5 Year Member

I know htat when i belonged to another MC forum, they used to use PureChat. I used to use CBox on my forum.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, first, neither Patrick nor myself have the clearance to add a chat room to our current forum. Ever since the virus attack on the servers last year, access to a lot of stuff is restricted to only 3 or 4 techs that are full-time (paid) employees of Internet Brands (the company that owns MCF). And it ain't lookin too likely they'll be adding a chat room anytime soon. Having a hard enough time just trying to get them to find the time to change our forum's logo. They have about a hundred forums to keep running.

But personally, I'm not a fan of the live chat rooms/chat boxes. JJ's explanation pretty much sums it up for me.

Originally Posted by JJsRYD
The idea has been tossed around here for years. But a few things that have come up is first moderating it. People will sometimes post things that are not family friendly and we have kids that also see the board ( my son is always looking over my shoulder ). And 2nd, people will be so busy talking in the chatroom that no one is going to post cause all the questions will be asked there instead.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:38 PM

5 Year Member

Like i said, i've had first hand experience and know what can happen.

Look at it this way.

What if you have a problem with your car, say it wont start, and someone else knows whats wrong and tells you on the chat. Then the next day someone else ha the exact same problem and could use the same answers. But cant get it. Why? Cause it was only talked about in chat and once the chat cycles to a certain point, the post drops.

Now if it was posted instead on the forum, it could be seen by everyone. Even if its later down the road.

Now ask yourself this. What if YOU was the second person that needed the answer. Now what do you do?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Also the chat will probably just become something like what's wrong with X, got solution and never come back.

Sure that happens with posts, but if it's a thread there's more chance they keep coming back and loving the site.

Quick Reply: Chat room