Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/)
-   -   XM Radio 2006 Monte Carlo (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/interior-audio-visual-electronics-11/xm-radio-2006-monte-carlo-1856/)

rrobert05 01-07-2007 09:32 PM

RE: XM Radio 2006 Monte Carlo

do you have the plug and antenna wire on the right side of the trunk if so yes I would sell it but if you dont have them there it would not do you much good if the antenna isn't there look at the bottom of the onstar antenna to see if there is a hook up for it to get to it just sit in the back seat pull the two push plugs and pull down the head liner and you can see it there are two wires on mine

tcaleb 02-13-2007 05:43 PM

I just got word that XM cables are available for the 2006 Monte Carlo. I was in contact with a person @ West Coast Radios, and they confirmed with me that the cable for the XM kit to integrate into the XM ready radio is available. I am just waiting to hear back from him on the total cost to get XM intgrated into my factory radio, but the XM unit plus cable is only $295.
When I get a proper estimate, I will post it here.

FlynhghR 02-26-2007 09:33 PM

Dude, forget that! 300$ to be able to use the factory unit? I would buy a 100$ remote unit and have it so I could use it at home, in another car, etc. I have Sirius and I use just a remote unit which works fine. Also, FYI XM and Sirius are merging, so you might want to make sure that your XM unit is still going to be good in 2008, especially if you're spending 300$ to use it! It could become entirely obsolete when they do the merger. They did say for 2007 your radio and subscription are good (this is coming from Sirius) but didn't say wether or not you would need to purchase a new unit in 08.

Just some food for thought...

tcaleb 02-26-2007 10:14 PM

Dude, the problem with the $100 remote unit is interference with radio stations. By buying this unit, I get true digital sound through the radio, not a weak signal that you have to keep changing to another FM Frequency to keep from bleeding over from other stations. I realize that having another unit is nice when you want to use it in other places, but for me, it is worth it to have it integrated. I had the extra unit in my other Monte Carlo, and itwas a pain, because it took up 1 ofmy power plugs, plus I had to mount it on the dash as the vent mount kept moving around.I had to have it replaced twice, because mounting in on the dash kept it in the sun, and they kept frying....
Of course, Plus the fact, the dealership is footing the cost of it, so I am not paying any of it.

FlynhghR 02-26-2007 11:04 PM

I can see your point on the remote unit. I used the RCA jacks for the home wiring setup, and used a converter and plug it into the aux input. I'm just used to 'making' it work versus paying to get it to work, lol. I'm sure there has to be a unit that will plug into the factory harness so you can hid the aux input. As far as power goes I'm just going to cut the cig lighter plug and wire it to my sub power cable when I get that put in. That way I keep the power plugs open. Plus I'm thinking that the unit on the other thread not only gives you the pre-outs, but also has the aux input so you don't have to do the FM transmitter thing. Well, that or they sell it seperately. (thread title: 2006 GM LAN Amplifier Adapter PAC AOEM GM1416 )

How did you get the dealership to foot the bill? If they paid to put it in I'd be putting it in as well.

tcaleb 02-28-2007 11:02 PM

I got the dealership to buy it and put it in, because the saleman told me it was there, and when we finally figured it wasn't, I told them that they had to get it installed. Their problem..... I just noticed that other thread, so I will take a look at it. I tried the aux input, but for some reason on my radio, it is really low volume, and I have to turn it WAY up to get some good sound out of it.....

FlynhghR 03-01-2007 01:06 AM

So they purchased and installed the stock system or one of the remote units?

If it's just a remote unit I'd say the volume is low because the radio puts out preamp audio levels (for like a home stereo) versus something like the i Pod which puts out enough juice to power a set of headphones. You might be able to remedy this with settings on the sattelite radio unit, or perhaps thefactory stereo system. If no options will control the gain of the connection then you might be stuck with purchasingone of the cables that send the signal directly to the car's radio antenna. This way you have little or no problems with radio station interference, because the signal is going directly into the antenna line.

tcaleb 03-01-2007 12:32 PM

I have the FM remote unit in there now, as the dealership is in the process of buying the unit from West Coast Radios, to make it use the existing OEM radio for control. I bought the FM remote unit aa year or so ago for my 2001 Monte Carlo I sold when I got this 2006 Monte. I will use the remote one in my other vehicle, and with the boom box I bought for my house and outdoors, I just want the Digital signla and control through the existing radio.

BobKat 11-09-2007 08:33 AM

Looks like it's been a while since anyone posted on this, I don't know if it is even an issue anymore but I have the definitive answer to add the XM to the factory radio. GM PART # 17803006 is a kit that includes the XM reciever, wiring harness adapters, and replacement XM/Onstar antenna.. On the outside the existing Onstar antenna looks like the one included with the kit but there is one additional lead attached to the one in the kit (go figure-- GM could have probably saved some tooling cost by just making one antenna and taping up the 3rd lead on cars without XM) It is a straightforward installation and just takes a couple of hours due to removal of interior panels etc. ( I don't rush) price on the kit is $190.58 from http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/and it works great.. Will also install on '07 models.