Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

XM Radio 2006 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Default XM Radio 2006 Monte Carlo

Here is my question. I did not get the XM radio with my 06 Monte Carlo. I have the AM/FM 6 CD Changer setup in the car. I use a standalone XM radio setup but if I were to want the XM radio installed, would it require a whole new radio or is it something that they can install in the radio that would turn on the xm portion. I thought I had read somewhere that all the radios had the option of having that put in but can't find it anymore.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 AM
Default RE: XM Radio 2006 Monte Carlo

Yes i believe all the radios come with XM capability. You have to get an antenna and a wiring harness I think. I once looked at getting it for my 2002 but my radio is too old to even support it. Just look around online for a GM radio XM system.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:36 AM

look on the right side of your trunk behind the panel that is were they put the xm at on the wheel well to the rear of the car you could have all the hookup right there it is two plugs the xm antenna is in with the onstar antenna

Old 07-13-2006, 10:27 PM

Found the silver box on the left side right at the back of the left wheel well. I take it that is the box that controls the onstar and XM radio. I guess all that I need to find out is what the cost of the harness is that you need to hook it up.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:21 AM

I have the one on the left side to but the xm go's on the right side if you did not get xm there will not be a box there it does say xm on it to I do not know what the left one is yet

Old 07-15-2006, 12:55 AM

Well then with that said, I do believe that I will continue to use my stand alone XM radio.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:13 AM

the bpx in the trunk has nothing to do with your xm that is for onstar only you xm box is behind the glovebox if you have one

Old 07-16-2006, 03:03 PM

I will have to try and get behind the glove box and see if anything is there. Seriously doubt it though since I don't even get an XM band when pushing the band button.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:27 PM

Sorry I replaced the XM with sirius the box on the right side when you are facing the trunk is the XM box the left side is onstar I removed the XM box it even said XM on it. When I get the interface for my stereo that they do not make yet I will be selling the stock 6 cd one with the xm. It is in my trunk right now to make the onstar work.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:02 PM

I purchased a 2006 Monte Carlo 3LT about 2 months ago, and have been fighting with the dealership since the day I bought it. I inquired about it having XM installed at the factory, and they told me yes, all I had to do was call XM to activate the radio. Needless to say, they need the radio ID, and I have since found out that it was not installed. I got the build sheet from the dealership. I have been trying to find a way to get XM installed on it through the radio ever since. This is some of the best information that I have been able to find. I was working with the dealership on an XM conversion that they have installed on other GM vehicles, but GM does not make the crossover cable yet for the 2006 Monte Carlo. So I am playing the waiting game, until I either find a trashed 2006 Monte with XM installed, or until another option becomes available.
My question is:
Someone mentioned the box on the right side of the trunk. I have the Onstar box on the left side, but nothing on the right. Someone also mentioned behind the glove box. Where would the XM receiver be mounted? Or is it in both places?

rrobert05, you mentioned that you took out the XM box in the back. Is it something you would sell?

Quick Reply: XM Radio 2006 Monte Carlo