Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

What do the stock 6x9's look like?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Default What do the stock 6x9's look like?

Are they two way/three way? or do they just have the little cone thingy at the top? I have some 3 ways I wanna put in, just trying to get an idea on clearance. Where's my crutchfield catalog when you need it?

Old 06-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Default RE: What do the stock 6x9's look like?

if you go out to crutchfeilds they have a fitment guid for your front doors.
The OEM 6x9's are belive 2 way from what i have seen and 2 ohm

Old 06-05-2005, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

if you go out to crutchfeilds they have a fitment guid for your front doors.
The OEM 6x9's are belive 2 way from what i have seen and 2 ohm
I don't need a fitment guide for the front doors, just wondering what the 6x9 looks like, was kinda hoping someone would have a pic. On my 3 ways,the little speakers sit a little higher than the surface, just trying to get an idea on possible clearance issues.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:36 PM

Rear stock speakers (6X9) in 2004 with low end stock system are set up for base response only. 1 way base speaker without tweeter.
I put 2 way Pioneer speakers with Aramid woffer cone from Etronics in rear and sounds good. Have full range response.

Front door speakers consist of a 2 piece component system. 5.25 mid range with about 1.375" tweeter mounted seperately on same bracket which holds midrange. Each speaker has seperate wires running back to AMP under rear deck.

You cannot replace front speakers with a non-component system unless you can wire the mid range and tweeter seperately. I wired a 2 way conventional speaker to mid range wires and there was no treble response. I wired to the tweeter wires and there was not enough power for anything.

Factory front speakers sound OK but with upgraded rear speakers you will notice the front treble is not what it should be.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:43 PM

BTW- There was plenty of clearance for the high mounted tweeter under the rear deck cover. Is a major project to remove rear deck panel, side window molding, seat belt retainer etc.

See Pioneer TS-D690R speakers for example of what fits. Need to watch out for circuit board which mounts network divider- ease it past steel deck as you insert speaker with plastic bracket.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:57 AM

ORIGINAL: dcm0123

Rear stock speakers (6X9) in 2004 with low end stock system are set up for base response only. 1 way base speaker without tweeter.
I put 2 way Pioneer speakers with Aramid woffer cone from Etronics in rear and sounds good. Have full range response.

Front door speakers consist of a 2 piece component system. 5.25 mid range with about 1.375" tweeter mounted seperately on same bracket which holds midrange. Each speaker has seperate wires running back to AMP under rear deck.

You cannot replace front speakers with a non-component system unless you can wire the mid range and tweeter seperately. I wired a 2 way conventional speaker to mid range wires and there was no treble response. I wired to the tweeter wires and there was not enough power for anything.

Factory front speakers sound OK but with upgraded rear speakers you will notice the front treble is not what it should be.

ahaha, I already know the highs aren't there w/o replacing anything. But it's good to know that there are components up front, makes life easy. I was pondering where the hell I could mount my tweets. I guess now my only issues are gonna be clearance since I have 3 way 6x9's and 6 1/2's up front. I am expecting quite the improvement in SQ once I get these installed as my Polks sound very good when amplified and the Rainbow's can sing too. The system as is hits pretty good, very suprising, but a little more punch wouldn't hurt. I think I am going to sell my subs with the box and the amp and get a nice little 4ch amp to run my mids/highs. Anybody interested?

Old 06-07-2005, 12:59 AM

ORIGINAL: dcm0123

BTW- There was plenty of clearance for the high mounted tweeter under the rear deck cover. Is a major project to remove rear deck panel, side window molding, seat belt retainer etc.

See Pioneer TS-D690R speakers for example of what fits. Need to watch out for circuit board which mounts network divider- ease it past steel deck as you insert speaker with plastic bracket.
Sweet! Good to know there is plenty of clearance back there, hopefully it won't be an issue for me. Aw man, MAJOR project? I better eat my Wheaties!

Good lookin' out on all the good info here dude, I appreciate it.