Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Upgrade Headlights + More : )

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Upgrade Headlights + More : )

[align=center]Hi Members, What replacement bulbs do you like ? Please post your preference/reviews `ok....thanks
Below is from MotorWeek `Pat Goss

[:-]
[/align][align=center]
Upgrade Your Headlights
Pat Goss

Pat Goss and Tom Smith[/align][align=center]

PAT GOSS: In order to have a safe car you have to have good headlights, and here to give us some tips is Jason Ryan from Phillips-Automotive-Lighting. Jason, welcome to Goss Garage.
RYAN: Thanks, Pat.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]GOSS: There are some basic things that a lot of people dont understand about automotive headlights - number one, that they wear out over time.
RYAN: Thats true, they do dim over time and you may not even realize it before its too late and your bulbs end up burning out on you.
GOSS: All right, but just because they light doesnt mean theyre good.
RYAN: No, it does not necessarily mean that theyre good, and we always recommend that you replace those bulbs in pairs and on a regular maintenance interval.
GOSS: The lights that come in an automobile are made in a generic fashion so theyre supposed to be okay for just about everybody, but a lot of drivers may want something specific, and Phillips has some upgrades to address those specific needs, right?
RYAN: Depending on where and how you drive you may want your lights to perform in different ways. You may want to see further down the road, you may want to have just in general more light on the road, or you may want to be able to highlight road signs, and have something thats a little bit more whiter.
GOSS: I live in the country, and I want to see further down the road. What do I do?
RYAN: Phillips-Extreme-Power can address that by providing 80-percent more light down on the road. Youll see something farther down the road and also be able to react a lot sooner than you would with standard bulbs.
GOSS: Okay, and I want to see signs better.
RYAN: Phillips-Crystal-Vision-Ultra provides the whitest light available in a halogen upgrade. This is going to be easier on your eyes and its also going to highlight the signs a lot better.
[/align][align=center]GOSS: All right, but now youve got one thats really clever here, tell us about this one.
RYAN: The Phillips-Night-Guide has a three-color-beam-pattern; on the right side of the bulb you have a blue coating to it that will highlight the oncoming signs a little bit more. On the left side you have a yellow coating that will reduce the glare for oncoming traffic, and in the middle we keep it clear, and it provides up to a 50 foot longer beam for you.
GOSS: Thats pretty ingenious. All right now, a lot of cars these days have H-I-D headlamps, and everybody seems to think thats the end-all-be-all, but even there, there are improvements.
RYAN: We recently introduced an H-I-D upgrade where we provide 25-percent whiter light available than standard H-I-D bulbs.
GOSS: So whiter light comes closer to daylight and makes people feel more comfortable?
RYAN: Yes, it tends to be easier on the eyes, and youre able to recognize signs and road obstructions a lot easier. [&:]WoW
GOSS: Im a motorcycle rider, and I know that motorcycles dont always have the greatest headlights, so you even have something real clever for motorcyclists.
RYAN: In our research we saw that safety tended to be a very important topic for motorcycle drivers, so at Phillips-Moto-Vision we deliver it three ways. We give a 40-percent more light on the road for the driver, we give up to a 50 foot longer beam, and the really unique feature is that we have an orange reflection in the headlamp so it differentiates you from on-coming traffic more.
GOSS: And thats very important because motorcyclists like to be seen.
RYAN: Exactly.
GOSS: All right, well youve got something for everyone. Jason, thank you so much for joining us.
RYAN: Thanks. [/align][align=center]Space: Your Welcome `2

* For more info on how to decipher the DOT code on your tires sidewall and determine the month and year it was manufactured, try these handy sites:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../brochure.html

http://www.steersj.ca/printables/2_TireBasics.pdf
[:-][/align][align=center]
>

If you have a question or comment, write to me(not KidSpace)or send me a DVD video of your question and you might see yourself on TV.

The address is MotorWeek, Owings Mills, MD, 21117.

[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2825.shtml[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Members, post your choice/reviews of the lights[/align][align=center]that you have, or want `ok....thanks [/align]

Old 02-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Default RE: Upgrade Headlights Article

[align=center]6 Gen Headlight Bulbs Replacement How-to [/align][align=center]by[/align][align=center]Boost

[align=center][/align][/align][align=center][:-]Great Write `up with pics [:-][/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_8620/tm.htm[/align]

Old 02-22-2009, 01:36 PM

I've had regular( not ultra) silverstars for over a year. Lows, highs, fogs and turn.

I installed the silverstar 885's (over the 880's in the fogs)and they are definately brighter.

No problems.

The phillips night guide sounds interesting.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 AM

Zoom
"SYLVANIA 9006 SILVERSTAR HIGH PERFORMANCE HALOGEN HEADLIGHT BULB Single C-8 Filament For Low Beam, 55 Watts, The Brightest, Whitest, 100% Legal Halogen Headlights, Features Light Color Similar To Daylight, Helps To See Better For Safer Night Driving, Silverstar Headlights Meet All US And Canadian Requirements (FMVSS 108 And CMVSS 108)" Fits:[/u] Fits Front Passenger or Driver Side.
[/b]

1995-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
SY-9006ST
$17.38[/b]
[:-]Click below 2 connect [:-]

Old 02-23-2009, 10:44 AM

[:-]Bonus information from above post

[/align]
Zoom [/align]
Surf City Garage Car Care Package Universal [/align][/align]"SURF CITY GARAGE CAR CARE TOOLBOX A Complete Care Kit Inside A Toolbox Designed To Give Your Ride That Show Car Look No Matter Where You Are, Comes With A Built-In Handle, Made In The USA, Includes 8 Of The Enthusiast Grade Interior And Exterior Detailing Products: One 24 oz. Speed Demon Wax Detailer, One 24 oz. Beyond Steel Wheel Cleaner, One 24 oz. Dash Away Interior Detailer, One 24 oz. Clearly Better Glass Cleaner, One 16 oz. Pacific Blue Wash & Wax, One 8 oz. Voodoo Blend Leather Rejuvenator, One 8 oz. Barrier Reef Carnauba Wax, One 8 oz. Beyond Black Tire Pro And Two Nano-Detail Polishing Cloths" [/align][/align]

Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 PM

Toshiba 9011 & 9012 bulbs. They are also called HIR bulbs. Check out hirheadlights.com. I have the 9012 which replace the 9006 low beams. Definite improvement over any of the Silverstar or PIAA bulbs. Only thing is, you have to file down the upper tab to fit our MC's. Installation took about 15 minutes with filing tabs. A whiter lighter with a wider beam. Next is to try the high beam version. Also available at www.candlepower.com.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I used SilverStars in my 04 Stratus R/T Coupe. I loved how they looked. Below is a picture of them compared to stock.

Stock on left / Silverstar on right

One blew out a few months before I sold the car and I put in Silverstar Ultras, but I could not tell a difference between the regular and ultras.

Since Sylvania does not make the Silverstar bulbs in the size I need (H11), I will be looking into OSRAM Night Breakers. I have read a lot of good things. Not many well known manufacturers make H11 bulbs so it is hard to find quality ones.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

what's the difference between just buying a set of silverstar bulbs, and getting a HID Conversion kit?

Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM

Hi Mike,
I hope the below information helps in answering your question?
How do the blue-ish headlights on expensive luxury cars work?[/align]

[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

[*]More Auto VideosĀ»[/ul][/align][/align][/align]Blue-ish headlights are not very common yet, but they are likely to become the norm because they produce more light than normal headlights while at the same time using less power. This combination is hard to beat! [/align]There are several different articles having to do with light here at HowStuffWorks:

[ul][*]Halogen lights[*]Gas camping lanterns (the kind with mantles) [*]Lasers[*]Fluorescent lights[*]Electroluminescent panels[/ul][/align]
All of these technologies excite atoms so that they produce photons. In the case of halogen bulbs and gas lanterns, heat is doing the exciting. In other technologies it is various forms of electricity or light that create the excitement.
Most cars currently use halogen bulbs in their headlights. The new blue-ish headlights are using a different technology called High Intensity Discharge (HID). We normally see HID lamps in the form of mercury vapor and sodium vapor lights used as street lamps and as outdoor lighting for stadiums. These lamps are popular because they are efficient. In the case of sodium vapor, they are twice as efficient as normal fluorescent bulbs.
Mercury and sodium vapor lamps produce light using a technique similar to that used in fluorescent lamps. In fluorescent lamps a low-pressure mercury vapor produces lots of ultraviolet light that excites a phosphor coating the tube. In the case of mercury vapor lamps, it is a high-pressure gas, the distance between the electrodes is very short and the light is produced directly without the need for the phosphor.
In the case of HID headlights, the same high-pressure technology is used. The lamp is similar to a mercury vapor lamp. However, designers of the headlights had to solve one problem with normal mercury vapor lamps the fact that they have long start-up times. Xenon helps solve the start-up problem, as does a special controller. All of these tricks mean that these headlights are expensive now, but mass production should bring the cost down eventually.
Here are some interesting links:
[ul][*][align=center]Motor Vehicle Lighting Council: Xenon FAQ [/align][*][align=center]Automotive Xenon metal halide HID lamps Automotive Lighting FAQ - nice diagrams>[/align][*][align=center]Philips: High Intensity Discharge Lamps [/align][*][align=center]HID electronic ballasts [/align][*][align=center]GM Goodwrench Videos [/align][/ul]

Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Bob

I have talk to a sale's REP. from SILVERSTAR back in October, and he told me that sometime in early 2009 they will put out a H11 SILVERSTAR low beam bulb. As far as i know the bulb is not out at. By now there has to be over 1 million cars on the road using that brand of low beam bulb. There starting to sound like K&N, we will look into making a cold air intake for the 3.5 & 3.9 motor's, WELL, were still WAITING.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Headlights + More : )